When should I take my lantus

Georgiagirl77

I'm new at all this but I have a question I am supposed to take my insulin at night but my sugar is good in the evening so can I take it in the am I take humalog also

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lantus is supposed to last for 24 hours (its a long lasting insulin) - though some find it doesn't quite last so long. And since its a long lasting one as long as you take it at the same time everyday it should theoretically be fine - some take in the morning, some in the evening - if it doesn't last the full 24 hours for you it may make a difference as to what time you take it - ie you probably want to talk to your DN/consultant/doctor and discuss and if you do change from evening to morning they can help with sorting out the dosages for the day you switch over

Bill166

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Lantus is very slow acting insulin intended to provide you with a background level of insulin to keep you ticking. The basal dose.

It takes hours to have any significant effect and lasts for days. So your bg level when you take it isn't important. And the time of day doesn't matter much as long you're consistent when you take it, so your background level of Lantus stays the same.

You need to check you're taking the right amount, but that's a discussion between you and your DSN.

Hope this was useful.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm new at all this but I have a question I am supposed to take my insulin at night but my sugar is good in the evening so can I take it in the am I take humalog also

As a new user you should always consult with your medical team before changing your insulin regime.

As a general rule however, most of us make changes to our insulin regimes to suit our own needs, and we are all different in terms of our dietary needs and when we take exercise etc. This means that what works for me may not work for you.

Your liver releases a constant trickle of glucose and this allows your body to obtain energy for basic functions like keeping your heart pumping etc. Long acting insulin is designed to deal with this trickle.

Through the use of a Freestyle Libre I discovered that the action of Lantus started to tail off after around 18hrs and so even without eating, I could see my glucose levels start to rise at around 15:00 the following day after an evening injection.

Many people experience a burst of glucose shortly before or after waking and taking your Lantus in the evening should help with this. If you took Lantus in the morning it may start to tail off during your sleep period and so you could wake up with high glucose levels.

Through monitoring you can determine if your glucose levels are rising after 18hrs or maybe the Lantus does work for you for the full 24hrs.

Reactions: Georgiagirl77