1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

When should the 1st scan be?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by jenni34, Jul 4, 2019.

1. jenni34

jenni34 Type 1 · Member

I'm type 1 currently 9 weeks and had my booking appointment today with midwife and saw my diabetic team 2 weeks ago .

I've read that I should have a scan before 12 weeks but have been given conflicting information regarding this from my midwife and the DSN.

Can anyone tell me what is standard for a type 1.

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I had one at 9 weeks. No idea if that is the standard

3. jade88

jade88 · Well-Known Member

It varies from hospital to hospital I didn’t have one until 12 weeks with both mine.

4. stereotypeone86

stereotypeone86 Type 1 · Member

Hey Jenni34,

I’m also Type 1 and currently 12weeks pregnant.I found out I was pregnant at 4.5weeks but still had to wait until 12 weeks pregnant to have my 1st scan.The wait was torture as I was worrying more because I’ve had a lot of hypos but thankfully baby is healthy so far.I think the standard procedure is for Diabetics to wait for our dating scan (8-14weeks) just like non-Diabetics unless you’ve had pain,cramps or bleeding.Hope that helps and congratulations!

5. pawprints

pawprints Type 1 · Member

Hi I had my first scan at 8/9 weeks to make sure baby was in the right place. I don't know if it varies from town to town. I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant and have had 5 scans so far.

Emma

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook