1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

When Should You Feel a Hypo?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by empink, Sep 30, 2017.

1. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

and then again, gentler drops can sneak up on you and you don't notice them until you're well down in the 3s or lower!

:arghh:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Angusc

Angusc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

long term diabetes can effect your sensitivity to hypos massively I'm 55 years type 1 and I don't notice Hypos till I get below 1.2 as I was on a ward 8+ years ago walking around asking for a blood test as was feeling low but 3 nurses said you can't be and the 4th nurse tested my blood sugars and it came out 1.2 and then they panic#ed as they said I should not have been making sense at that level so now I never allow my self to be separated from blood sugar meter and my pump which I got 6 years ago with sensor as every one has different levels that they can function at

• Like Like x 1
  3. clanders

clanders Type 1 · Active Member

You are quite right. We do measure blood sugar which will not give the same reading as other body fluids. My lowest BS, while still standing and talking was 0.9. Usually my legs go at 1.4 and I am unconscious below 0.8. However I usually have lower BS, probably because there are so few carbs that I like. I wonder if there is any research on brain damage/dementia and type 1. I assume the incidence will be greater for both conditions with diabetics?

4. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Actually I remember reading some article awhile back that said hypoglycemia episodes don't lead to brain damage long term.

5. Amy993

Amy993 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thats hardly any gluco tabs - lucky! I need to have 6-8!!

6. Bill_St

Bill_St Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The total blood in the body only carries 5 gm of glucose. The total body fluids carry around 30 gm. So why do we need 6-8 glucotabs to correct a hypo? A half tablet should be sufficient to raise BG from 0 to half normal - say 3mmol or from hypo at 2 to around 5. But that is if it is totally absorbed.
    Our problem is often one of absorption.
    Glucose is a very small molecule; it can be absorbed through mucous membranes in the mouth and throat. Rather than swallowing the glucose, is it not better just to try to hold it in the mouth, against lips and cheeks. I find this much more effective and much quicker in action.
    This method requires much smaller doses but does not last as long. It will transfer from blood to the other fluids so repeat dose is likely to be necessary (although not certain!).
    With the close monitoring of Libre, one can follow the level. This prevents the otherwise rebound to hyper levels. Repeat small doses of fast acting Glucose can be a very effective method of control if you have the continuous information on your levels.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Levy

Levy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Differs for me. Most of the time I feel it in the mid to high 3s, but sometimes it'll be a lot lower before I feel it depending on how quick it's been dropping and what I'm doing at the time. The worst one I had was 0.9 and that literally came out of the blue!

8. maria030660

maria030660 · Well-Known Member

I get symptoms when i go under 4. I start to get cold sweat that start in my neck also i start yawning. But each diabetic is different so will experience different symptoms at different blood sugar levels. The important thing is that you recognize them and then act to prevent passing out.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook