when the penny dropped

symbolrate

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have dropped in and out of here over the last four years as there is good advice to be had across the forums. Reason why I am posting is that the penny finally dropped for me that getting rid of excess WEIGHT is the magic bullet.
Briefly, I was diagnosed with Pre-diabetes way back in 2003 when my blood sugar hovered around 6.1. This was pre H1ba1c testing became the regular screening. While I always had a decent diet thanks to my wife's home cooking, I did abuse my diet with added pasties , chips and whatever any construction site throws at you.
To cut a long story short my weight quietly increased to 98 kg from my ideal weight of 85. Ten years ago my first H1ba1c came back at 41 and was advised to watch my diet which I did only to a point and over the years the a1c crept up to 47, last April. A repeat test in July shocked me at 49 and I was strongly advised to lose weight. After a chat with the practice nurse at the surgery, the penny did drop and duly got myself an app and started calorie counting. I knew my diet was good now I am retired but obviously was still taking in too many calories. While I am still 4kg short of my NHS recommended weight (doc says I should not worry too much on that score), at 71 I am now happy I have cracked the matter once and for all. So here are a few tips.

1. What I found in this exercise,It was easy to lose weight simply by cutting practically all the bread and pasta, reducing alcohol even though it was not excessive by recommended standards.
  2. Reducing my cheese intake and increasing my fish part of the diet also brought my cholesterol levels to below average.
  3. While for the first month I had problem replacing lost card calories , I soon found that chick peas and all sort of beans make a perfect alternative.
  4. I do not exercise in a gym at all but do enjoy walking and fairly active in the garden only for enjoyment rather than losing weight.
Four months on and and 9kg lighter, my last HB a1c was a magic 41 and my cholestor numbers are all in the middle of the acceptable range.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done that man! It always gladdens my heart to hear success stories like yours.

Arlmy

I have dropped in and out of here over the last four years as there is good advice to be had across the forums. Reason why I am posting is that the penny finally dropped for me that getting rid of excess WEIGHT is the magic bullet.
Briefly, I was diagnosed with Pre-diabetes way back in 2003 when my blood sugar hovered around 6.1. This was pre H1ba1c testing became the regular screening. While I always had a decent diet thanks to my wife's home cooking, I did abuse my diet with added pasties , chips and whatever any construction site throws at you.
To cut a long story short my weight quietly increased to 98 kg from my ideal weight of 85. Ten years ago my first H1ba1c came back at 41 and was advised to watch my diet which I did only to a point and over the years the a1c crept up to 47, last April. A repeat test in July shocked me at 49 and I was strongly advised to lose weight. After a chat with the practice nurse at the surgery, the penny did drop and duly got myself an app and started calorie counting. I knew my diet was good now I am retired but obviously was still taking in too many calories. While I am still 4kg short of my NHS recommended weight (doc says I should not worry too much on that score), at 71 I am now happy I have cracked the matter once and for all. So here are a few tips.

1. What I found in this exercise,It was easy to lose weight simply by cutting practically all the bread and pasta, reducing alcohol even though it was not excessive by recommended standards.
  2. Reducing my cheese intake and increasing my fish part of the diet also brought my cholesterol levels to below average.
  3. While for the first month I had problem replacing lost card calories , I soon found that chick peas and all sort of beans make a perfect alternative.
  4. I do not exercise in a gym at all but do enjoy walking and fairly active in the garden only for enjoyment rather than losing weight.
Four months on and and 9kg lighter, my last HB a1c was a magic 41 and my cholestor numbers are all in the middle of the acceptable range.

Well done
thanks for the advice