When To Eat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Wendy18480 i was tagged into the conversation but seem to have missed it so apologies.
I'm also usually an OMAD er and have recently being trying a carnivore way of eating. However at the start I did follow a ketogenic WOE which combined with some fasting worked well for me for both weight loss and BG control. I also had a very bad reaction to metformin so only took them for a brief period then stopped. Personally I rarely eat fruit or root veg but apart from those elements it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. As a man it seems that weight loss came quite easily to me but I think that a number of women have more problems with that. I would suggest sticking with it and maybe concentrate on lowering blood sugars and you will probably find weight loss will come in time. Beware however of not eating enough.. if you only having one meal a day it is quite easy to slip into calorie restriction which may not help your weight loss journey. If I can help any more please let me know.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Wendy you say you like veg, have you ever tried cauliflower rice? You can get packs in the prepared veg section in the supermarket though those packs are for 2/3 people. You can grate cauliflower yourself. I tried all versions but my favourite is Iceland frozen pack of 4 separate portions which microwave in a few mins. They also do a green version which is mincd up kale, brocolli, etc. I am always stocked up. They are great with curry, the green one lovely with fish.

mondFi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2D earlier this year and followed the 800 calorie low carb diet (as per the Moseley book). It worked for me; I think it likely that I have reversed my diabetes i.e. my blood sugars are now totally in the normal range (fasting and 2 hrs after meals) even when bingeing.

Like you, I find that if I eat early then I just don't want to stop but one meal a day really helps me keep control and I found that I wasn't hungry/craving even on 800 calories a day. Getting in ketosis wasn't hard - a couple of days feeling rough but nothing too serious and staying there was pretty easy.

I hope that my experience will be useful to you, if you try it, I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

As far a the DP goes, I found that as the weight went down so did the DP/liver dump issues.

I've just had 2 months of eating whatever I like (food-group-wise) with lots of drinking and big portions on special occasions, I kept my weight (fairly well) controlled by intermittent fasting and low calories on the less special occasions and, as I said, my blood sugars have been normal even when bingeing which is fantastic. On the down side, the cravings got worse with time when eating carbs and I found myself allowing myself to binge more often. I may learn to control my cravings and excesses one day on a "normal" diet but in the mean-time I think using the ketogenic diet is going to be crucial to my long-term success at keeping diabetes at bay even though I don't need to do it to keep my glucose levels normal.

I'm back on a low carb diet to hopefully quieten the cravings, loose some more weight (I've lost 2 1/2 stone and want to lose another couple of stone to be firmly in the "normal" weight range) and learn some more good habits regarding portion sizes.

Everyone is different, so I can't promise a keto/low cal diet will work for you like it seems to have for me but I'd recommend trying it. Whatever happens, I hope you find a diet that helps you.