When to eat?

xtinexoop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so let's say that 2 hrs after a meal you have BG higher than you want...

But you are hungry, or it's lunch/ dinner time, or you are at a wedding or something where you can't control mealtimes, do you wait till levels drop before you eat again? Otherwise presumably if you add food on top of an already high level you know it's going to soar?

GlazedDoughnuts

Well me personally I'd just eat and take extra insulin, but that won't apply to you if you're a T2 diabetic.

In which case you need to find out why your levels are elevated, and if you've already changed your diet and exercising more frequently then it's time to see the doc.
If you're overweight T2 diabetic then losing weight will help lessen resistance to Insulin; probably best do that first and see how things work out for you.

Of course the short term answer would be exercise and let your muscles use the nutrients, but that may be a little difficult depending on the situation.

Fraddycat

One or two high readings will not do you much harm, its consistent high levels that will cause you big problems. Sometimes you just have to enjoy yourself and get back on track the following day!

xtinexoop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ta, at the mo it's hypothetical, kind of. My level is 8.9 2 hrs after dinner. I know what I can cut next time to improve it and it's better than the 10.8s I was getting last week. But, I have the Munchies and whilst I won't bother eating tonight it made me wonder what you do in other situations where you would ned to eat or else you'd end up missing a meal

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sometimes I nibble on cheese and cucumber slices, or ham and mayonnaise or something like that with no carbs.

Pneu

If you want to eat without raising blood glucose then fats are your friend.. cheese or something similar will be fine.. you need to be a bit careful with too much protein if you are low-carbing as your body will convert that to glucose.. probably at around 40-60% of its weight..

i.e. 10g protein will give you the same rise as 4-6g of carbohydrate.