When to start maternity leave?

JLR85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on when to start maternity leave given the due date and being told unlikely to go past 38 weeks (does this mean should take the due date back by two weeks for employment terms?)

I want to maximise by time off when the baby is actually here but conscious of doing quite a demanding job (social worker) with Type 1 which might make it difficult to work too late on: Trying to save as much A/L as possible to take off in a chunk before maternity starts! I’m 17+6 today so got some time to plan. Just wondering what other people have done?

Thanks!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My plan was to work as long as possible but baby and my body had other ideas. She had to be delivered at 36 weeks so I ended up phoning work from the ward before induction asking to start mat leave now please.
The only thing I can suggest is keep talking to your midwife and listen to your body.

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi JLR, I got same advice about not going over 38w and was given induction date of 37w+5. Waters broke 37w+3. I officially finished at 35w and just dealt with loose ends / handover stuff till Mat leave. Don’t worry about losing your annual leave - I think you can use it at other end of mat leave if baby arrives earlier than planned. Check with HR though!

tirstyy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I worked up until 36+3 as I was due in for induction at 37+2. The last week of work was a struggle though as I had early symptoms of pre-eclampsia and my legs and feet were like balloons!
Definitely listen to what your body is saying