When to take insulin in the mornings.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I’m just contemplating how my morning routine will change once the kids go back to school.

I usually get up, take both basal (lantus) and bolus insulin, then eat breakfast 15 mins later. But when the kids go back to school I don’t usually eat breakfast until 9.30/10am.

Would I be doing any harm if I took my basal first thing (7am) & then waiting until after the school run to bolus & eat?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The basal is not connected to when and what you eat. Basal as usual, eat when you want and bolus accordingly.

Reactions: TashT1

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be able to do that - just do my long acting and then just do my short acting when I'm going to eat however over the last 18months there has been a shift in my insulin requirements and I now need short acting when I get up otherwise my blood sugars shoot up (with no food). Its a bit of a balancning act as sometimes I inject 2 units and it just stabilises my blood sugars then I need to inject again to eat and other times I need a small amount of food to stop myself going low.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah well I guess with all things diabetes trial & error is the key. It might be wise to do a trial run this week, since it also involves a 40min round trip walk.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I’m just contemplating how my morning routine will change once the kids go back to school.

I usually get up, take both basal (lantus) and bolus insulin, then eat breakfast 15 mins later. But when the kids go back to school I don’t usually eat breakfast until 9.30/10am.

Would I be doing any harm if I took my basal first thing (7am) & then waiting until after the school run to bolus & eat?

Hi,

Take your basal at the usual time as advised by your HCPs.
Bolus when you are ready to eat.

Reactions: TashT1