When to test with Keto Strips

Wendy18480

I've been on a Keto diet plan for a week now, all seems to be going well so far apart from tiredness and a little bit of lightheadedness which goes away as soon as I eat something, my blood first thing is 6.9 which is good for me so heading in the right direction.

I've purchased some Keto strips, when is the best time to use them and how often per day do you check?

Many thanks,
Wendy
xx

Kat1979

Hi Wendy, glad things are going well.
I started on Keto about 2-3 weeks ago. I tested my Keto levels yesterday and they were 0.9 which I was happy with.
I’ve had breakfast and a light lunch today, all within limits, and tested again and I’ve dropped to 0.4. Currently feeling disheartened and trying to work out why.
I’ve planned on testing twice weekly, but had read with your first reading you should check again fairly soon after to make sure it wasn’t a false reading. Wishing I hadn’t now! Although I’m not going to let it throw me off track.
Sorry I’ve not answered your question, but it seems you need to check it regulary but not necessarily every day.
I’m sure someone else will be along shortly to offer advice.
Kathy

Ray2101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Wendy,
I am Type 2 and can only can only comment on my experience regarding keto for a couple of years so my comments may or may not fit your situation very well.

My goal for moving to keto was to control my blood sugar levels (BGL) by diet and decrease the risk of complication, having seen my Dad die from a lot of them. I had started to loose feeling in my feet and my (then) doctor finally tested my BSL and I was then diagnosed as diabetic.

Starting keto, my blood waking sugar levels dropped from 16+ down to 4.9 to 6 over about a month and apart from my departures from keto for special occasions, my neuropathy has not progressed and has reduced from both feet to part of only one foot and is staying constant at that. Probably TMI, but gives a context for how/when I test for ketones.

The other issue for me is the cost of testing for ketones, which for me is about $1 per test strip.

On that basis, my initial testing for ketones was once per day. My rationale being that it takes a couple of days to get into ketosis (and very quick to get out of) so more frequent testing did not tell me anything extra. Having said that, some foods like eating macadamia nuts caused me to get temporary high ketone readings., which while good wasn't really helpful in determining how I was progressing.
I did notice the 'light-headed' feelings as I moved towards nutritional ketosis which I now see as a sign that my body was still fundamentally using glucose as fuel as opposed to ketones. (eating food --> increased glucose = removal of 'light-headedness'). I started having a teaspoon of salt and some apple cider vinegar in warm water which helped overcome the brain potassium leaching effect that beginning keto tends to have for most people, which I understand is the main culprit for flu-like symptoms, weakness and light-headedness.

My simplistic understanding of our bodies glucose/ketone use is that it is a bit like a see-saw in that our bodies use and produce one or the other. That is, (unless we are eating foods that naturally produce ketones like macadamias) our 'fuel' is either glucose or ketones, but never both at the same time. Most non T2DM people swap through this sea-saw through a 24hr period as they 'fast' through the night as their bodies insulin levels drop as their BGL drops as they move towards breakfast..

For most T2DM people in the early to mid stage of the disease, they have very high levels of insulin (mine are about 5 times 'normal' , depending on whose definition of 'normal' is used), and this makes it very hard to reach ketosis since the 'switch' to make the see-saw tilt appears to be dependent upon insulin levels. Low insulin --> ketosis.

All of the above is the long way of saying that for me:
a. As I moved towards ketosis, daily awaking readings gave me reassurance that I was actually moving towards my goal.

b As my awaking BSL achieved 4-5.5, then I knew that I was in ketosis and so I didn't have to take daily readings. I only now take readings when I want to know ketones for curiosity or a special reason.

c. I used BSL reading to guide my eating and ensure that the foods that I eat never (except for special occasions) move my BSL more than 2 mm/l above my before meal reading. That is, 2h after meal BGL reading - before meal reading < 2 mm/l.

Keeps costs down and gives reassurance of my being in ketosis. (and reassurance that I may not become blind and loose body parts like my Dad.)

All the above sort of sounds like it is 'easy' and 'straight-forward'. It was not for me. It was a lot of hard work and frustration as I gradually understood my body's reaction to different foods and exercise (and stress and sickness).

I hope this (probably) too long story is of help to you with your journey.

Regards,
Ray