Type 2 Where can I buy an Freestyle Libre 3 (UK)

Rhomulous

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone.
Being a type 2 I don't get the Libre 3 on NHS. I have discovered my levels are getting irratic and I'm feeling rubbish intermittently. When I was first diagnosed, I found the Libre 2 invaluable to work out how food effect my body and I learned a lot over a couple months. - Following that every now and then l just use a drop of blood.

I want to closely monitor what is going on for a little while and I'm interested in the Libre 3 -

Where can I buy one?

It was released in the UK, But I can't find a retailer. Is it restricted to prescription only? If so why?!?!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It was released in the UK, But I can't find a retailer. Is it restricted to prescription only? If so why?!?!
I've copied this from the frequently asked questions page on their website

At this stage, the FreeStyle Libre 3 system is available via the NHS Supply Chain Insulin Pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitoring, Closed Loop Insulin Delivery Systems and Associated Products framework. It is not available for people to purchase directly from Abbott.

Looks like you're out of luck for the time being, you could always give them a ring or email to see if it will be available anytime soon.
Here's their contact details
Call us at 0800 170 1177 email [email protected]

Reactions: Rhomulous

Rhomulous

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for replying. Only on prescription - Well that's annoying. I'll have to buy old tech! I wonder why? I've been led to believe supply isn't an issue. You'd think a company would want to actually make money ......

• Agree
Reactions: catinahat

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you looked at Dexcom One?
It is a CGM like Libre 3 (you do not need to scan) and is available at a similar price to Libre 2.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnEGreen

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for replying. Only on prescription - Well that's annoying. I'll have to buy old tech! I wonder why? I've been led to believe supply isn't an issue. You'd think a company would want to actually make money ......
@Rhomulous

The Libre 3 isn't on prescription (in England). A diabetic resident in England can only get the Libre 3 after a diabetes consultant has recommended that a diabetes patient would benefit from the Libre 3. Even then, my understanding is that in my local health authority (integrated care system ("ICS")) a funding supplication must be made - and approved - by the local integrated care system to allow a diabetic patient to receive the Libre 3.

A disproportionate number of ICS's have delayed funding being available for the Libre 3, as well as funding for other new third party continuous glucose monitors which NHS England announced should be available on prescription in England since August 2022. ICSs have done this to protect their budgets.

I'm not sure you are right that there is sufficient manufacturing capacity of the Libre 3 to satisfy demand in Europe. In August 2022 it was announced in the press that Abbott would be opening two facilities in Ireland, the main purpose of which would be to boost European production of the Libre 3.

Of course in England the NHS anticipates that in 2023 the Libre 3 will become an important component part in automated insulin delivery systems (aka hybrid closed loops, aka artificial pancreas systems) for Type 1 diabetics. NICE will finalise and publish in March/April 2023 updated hybrid voted loop guidance. So, the NHS in England is probably reserving Libre 3s to roll hybrid closed loops out mid to late 2023.

Finally, in 2020/21 Abbott and their main cgm competitor Dexcom, sued and countersued each other in Germany, the USA and the UK for patent infringement of the technology used in their respective glucose monitoring systems. That litigation is ongoing. I would be surprised if that litigation hasn't also had an impact on the availability of the Libre 3.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgreymare

finzi1966

If its continuous glucose monitoring you’re after (ie a reading every minute sent direct to your phone or watch) try the Shuggah app (works with Libre 2, converts it into a CGM)

Reactions: Christiaan