Where Do I Get Test Strips?

PudRiley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I am newly-diagnosed with Type 2 and have been given an Omnitest 3 monitor and some test strips.

This is probably a very silly question to those more experienced than myself, but I have only got a few test strips in the container. Where do I get more when I run out?

Thanks for any help offered.

A

asparagusp

Presumably your GP or diabetic nurse gave the meter to you. GPs will give you a prescription.

A

asparagusp

If they have prescribed the meter then they will prescribe the strips. Mine does. If not you can also of course order them from Boots.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PudRiley If you've been given the meter, then hopefully your GP should be prescribing the rest strips too. However, if you are lucky enough as a type 2 to get get the strips on prescription, they may not want or expect you to test very often, sometimes I believe as infrequently as once a week, :wideyed: which is not really at all helpful in learning about how foods affect your glucose levels. If this is the case, consider funding your own meter - i.e. a Codefree - do a forum search or post again for more info - as the test strips for this will be far cheaper to buy than most other meters. But if you so end up buying axtra strips for your Omnitest then make sure that you claim VAT exemption - ask for a VAT exemption form to complete.

Robbity

PudRiley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Presumably your GP or diabetic nurse gave the meter to you. GPs will give you a prescription.

Hi aspagusp, thanks for your reply. I was actually given it by a diabetes doctor whom my GP had sent me to because of my feet and eye conditions. Apparently, I don't "fit the profile" for Type 2 so I had to have a GAD blood test (which has just come back as negative) and was told to test every day. I was given a booklet to record my results.

PudRiley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@PudRiley If you've been given the meter, then hopefully your GP should be prescribing the rest strips too. However, if you are lucky enough as a type 2 to get get the strips on prescription, they may not want or expect you to test very often, sometimes I believe as infrequently as once a week, :wideyed: which is not really at all helpful in learning about how foods affect your glucose levels. If this is the case, consider funding your own meter - i.e. a Codefree - do a forum search or post again for more info - as the test strips for this will be far cheaper to buy than most other meters. But if you so end up buying axtra strips for your Omnitest then make sure that you claim VAT exemption - ask for a VAT exemption form to complete.

Robbity

Thanks Robbity, I had assumed there would be more information in the box, as well as a lot more strips! When I go for my appointment next week I will ask for a new lot.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi aspagusp, thanks for your reply. I was actually given it by a diabetes doctor whom my GP had sent me to because of my feet and eye conditions. Apparently, I don't "fit the profile" for Type 2 so I had to have a GAD blood test (which has just come back as negative) and was told to test every day. I was given a booklet to record my results.
Just give your surgery a ring and ask for them on repeat and can you have prescription today so you can comply with the consultants wishes.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If they have prescribed the meter then they will prescribe the strips. Mine does. If not you can also of course order them from Boots.
Not always my husband was given a meter and he had a prescription for strips but he only had one lot then he was told they could not give him any more strips as his BG levels were not high enough to warrant them

A

asparagusp

If you have been told to test every day then I would imagine that the NHS will pay for these strips.

Lisa8438

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Contralto
I'm a fairly new diagnosed type 2, what is an Rx?
I test to try to know what is good/bad for me to eat and the test strips cost is huge.
Thanks for any advice offered.