Where do I start? Overwhelmed.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be fortunate then as I get mine on prescription. Definitely worth asking.. as they say if you don’t ask you don’t get

I don't think it's about fortune, you're on insulin, you HAVE to be given them. x

Reactions: jjraak

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All newly diagnosed type 2 DM is entitled to see a state registered NHS dietitian. Ask your GP for referral.
In the meantime, Diabetes UK is a helpful resources online nationally. Its no need to blood glucose monitor yet unless your diagnosed glycaemic control, HBA1C was extremely high. (Above 76mmol/mol)

Carb and cal book will be useful if you want to learn carbohydrates portion in sizes. Its app as well.

The problem with most NHS dietitians is that they tend to advise the Eatwell plate which is approx 25% carbs - probably healthy for non diabetics but for those with T2, possibly T1 as well, carbs increase the BS thus perpetuating the problem of carb intolerance. They need to start realising that, for example, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice - be they white or wholemeal is not good for most T2 diabetics particularly those not on insulin.

The advice given by many health professionals not to test is wrong - how can we determine what we can and should not eat without testing? IMHO a meter is a necessity particularly just after diagnosis and, if prescribed, will save the NHS money in the long term as many patients who would have progressed to medications have taken the initiative and changed what they eat.

Reactions: HSSS

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eatwell is general start point but wont fit everyone. It needs professional assessments to work on individual cases. Glad to hear that you are finding your own ways.

I personally like the Canada guidelines, food snap guide for visual meal portion plate suggestion.

Eatwell certainly isn't great for anyone with T2 nor are so far as I'm aware the semi vegetarian Canadian guidelines (have you seen the portion size of the meat and fish on their plate under "protein foods")?

These guidelines are designed for the "healthy population" an increasingly shrinking number partly probably due to this advice.

Far too much emphasis on whole grains that nobody has ever eaten. Fruit, which simply advances NAFLD, and health washed vegetables.

@EmmyKittyPhoo you'll do well reducing starch, carbs and sugar in your diet (they're all the same thing really once you eat them.. sugar).

Fat and protein are all the things we really need to eat .. anything else is plate dressing.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All newly diagnosed type 2 DM is entitled to see a state registered NHS dietitian. Ask your GP for referral.
In the meantime, Diabetes UK is a helpful resources online nationally. Its no need to blood glucose monitor yet unless your diagnosed glycaemic control, HBA1C was extremely high. (Above 76mmol/mol)

Carb and cal book will be useful if you want to learn carbohydrates portion in sizes. Its app as well.
If you dont want to wait for referral, private dietitian will be an option. Good luck.

Usual blood glucose reading targets are between 4-8mmol/L.

you won’t get much agreement in here with that advice. I’m going out on a limb here and assuming you’re a dietician or similar? Trained in the glories of eatwell? touting subtly for business perhaps? Perhaps you could clarify your experience and knowledge of eating for type 2 so others don’t leap to conclusions, as I might be doing?

You do realise you are on a forum run by a different diabetes information organisation than the .org page don’t you? One that isn’t sponsored by liquid sugar drinks (Britvic)

Appalling advice about not testing unless really high. Would you drive a car without a speedo and wait for the ticket in the post months later? Do you understand how to test in type 2 or believe it’s all about avoid hypos and insulin dosing ? Readings before and after meals show what your response is to the food you ate and allow you to make judgment about the implications to your diabetes and adjustments to achieve better results. It’s that simple.

Eatwell is general start point but wont fit everyone. It needs professional assessments to work on individual cases. Glad to hear that you are finding your own ways.

I personally like the Canada guidelines, food snap guide for visual meal portion plate suggestion.

more touting for business?

The Canada plate is an improve on the eatwell for sure but still for a type 2 insulin resistant person may well contain too many carbs to achieve good control. Not too mention the effect of fructose on what likely to be a non alcoholic fatty liver in a may cases. And we are back to the testing to establish personal levels.

Eatwell rarely works to good control of type 2 and IR. And quite possible the reliance on cheap filling (temporarily before the bgl/insulin rollercoaster starts up) carbs is the reason we have a diobesity epidemic. The only time it’s useful is if the person concerned is eating even worse and this represents an improvement - not an ideal. Many of us got to diagnosis following such a diet and continued to get worse on such a diet.

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

If you dont want to wait for referral, private dietitian will be an option. Good luck.

Usual blood glucose reading targets are between 4-8mmol/L.

Tripe :rolleyes:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 a week ago and I am so overwhelmed. My doctor literally said “take these pills twice a day, eat less carbs and call me in a month.” It was a 2 minute conversation. I haven’t been given a blood sugar reader, I have no idea how low “low carb” is ... I’m so confused. There seems to be a LOT of conflicting information online.

I’ve ordered a blood sugar reader on Amazon and so far I’m just avoiding the big carbs - pasta, bread, etc. - because I don’t really know what I’m meant to be counting or when. Carbs per day? Per meal? And I have no idea what a good blood sugar reading is. I ordered a reader that lights up red, amber and green in order to help me understand it. Is it as simple as that?

Can anyone give this overwhelmed newbie some pointers please? Or direct me to some good literature? I keep crying because I just don’t understand and I want to get this right.

(I know I should probably talk to the doctor again but it’s difficult getting an appointment at the moment with covid.)
Testing your blood sugar is the main thing that will show you how well you're doing and what carbs affect you most. You also (and this is difficult) need to unlearn all the NHS "healthy eating" advice we are and have been deluged with - the fruit, grains, starches, the Eatwell Plate, all that just might possibly be OK for some people but it is no good for me and I suspect all T2s. And the Low-carb approach works, you don't need an expert (apart from yourself) and you don't need to buy any miracle supplements or wonderfoods.