1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Where do I start with making changes?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Dragonflye, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Dragonflye

Dragonflye Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey all!!!

I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have recently found out I am pregnant again (unplanned but happy) and wont be seeing my DSN for another week. I can now explain what has been happening to my sugars over the last couple of months but I have now idea with where to start making changes.

During the night seems easyish to handle, though its the day im struggling with. I cant really do fasting tests now so how do i figure out if its the basal or bolus that needs changing?

Im pretty much hypo 80% of the time now but cant figure out where to start. Im figuring ill probably need to drop both basal and bolus, but which do i do first? basal and see how it goes over a day or so, bolus and see how it goes or both? its just ive had ketones which is worrying me now (MDI on previous 2 pregnancies and didnt have these same problems) so dont want to drop insulin so much and risk running high!!!

2. MushyPeaBrain

MushyPeaBrain Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Never been a pregnant diabetic so am quoting from Walsh's book,
    reduction in insulin needs is normal during weeks 7-12
    basal and boluses may need to be reduced.
    A reduced basal and a large snack may be needed to keep the blood sugar dropping during the night
    not really much help; so the answer is phone your doc!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook