Where do they stick you ...

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Had some bloods done today and she couldn't get any from my usual veins ... ouch ouch so eventually stabbed me on the back of my arm between wrist and elbow - refused to have it taken from back of my hand !
Needless to say I almost went into a heap at one point lol ..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have Karen a phlebotomist. That's what she claims anyway. She used to work at another hospital where I was once an inmate so Karen has been taking my blood on and off for nearly 30 years. She always gets me near the crook of my elbow even when someone else has tried the same spot and failed.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hit the deck after my first blood test, as a kid. Ever since I've ranged from severely phobic to mildly agitated when it's blood test time. I insist on laying down for it just in case I feel the urge to pass out. Always fine from inside the arm but have had a few from the back of the hand. I don't mind the pain, actually the more painful the better as that takes my mind off the process! Weird, I know :)

Reactions: Debzz_ and JamesC1

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Back of the hand, I usually let them try once elsewhere so as not to put them off. After being stabbed multiple times in each crook of elbow at gps I now always go straight to the hospital for blood. And drink plenty of water beforehand.

Reactions: NinaB73 and Debzz_

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
If you were fasting you might have been dehydrated, make sure you drink plenty of water next time to stay hydrated.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife has to have it taken from the back of her hand and when they mess that up they go to her wrist, just past the base of her thumb ... she don't go to the Drs very often.. I wonder why !!

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's in the crook of the elbow or just below for me and I have had it from the back of the hand and the wrist and the arm and the main artery in your wrist but that was an emergency when they did that one but it didn't hurt as I just take my mind off it all and when you have low blood pressure it's harder again for blood to come out of the body as my veins disappear

Reactions: Debzz_

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's in the crook of the elbow or just below for me and I have had it from the back of the hand and the wrist and the arm and the main artery in your wrist but that was an emergency when they did that one but it didn't hurt as I just take my mind off it all and when you have low blood pressure it's harder again for blood to come out of the body as my veins disappear
Hummm .. the wife has low blood pressure .. most of her bloods are done in A&E after she has had accidents ! then her blood pressure is on the floor

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They always go for the back of my hand. They did try my foot once when even the hand didn't work, but I won't be letting them do that again!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
16 years ago I was in hospital, non diabetes related and they couldn't take any more blood from my veins in my arms ( constant blood testing) so a male phlebotomist took blood from my foot/ankle area, not pleasant, but necessary. He had to remove my compression stockings and........... hey presto, hairy legs :rolleyes::oops:

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
We have Karen a phlebotomist. That's what she claims anyway. She used to work at another hospital where I was once an inmate so Karen has been taking my blood on and off for nearly 30 years. She always gets me near the crook of my elbow even when someone else has tried the same spot and failed.
The receptionist had made my appointment with a HCA who then went to get the usual phlebotomist- after I had gone a few shades of green ....