Where does the insulin go?

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have recently been experiencing poor absorption rates so have been giving myself extra boluses to bring my blood sugar down. What happens to all that surplus insulin? Does it eventually get absorbed and if so, does it then work as normal and could this cause an unexpected hypo?

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
TOM 58
now thats what i like to know like today 2 high blood sugars change needle site now ok at this time have gone low about 7-30 pm 5.6 3..6 3.4 over a ten min period back up t onormal
vic 61 years on insulin sites are like well tough 61years off INJECTIONS WITH needle slike shotgun barrells
so poss i have to think of a 6 hour acting so if i take 4 units of NOVORAPID have to aware 6 hours later as it may kick and i go low as idid today to about 3 units to knock down a 17.5 blood sugar after lunch i find 2/3 hours to get the sugars back down and then stay level on a pump .
to i do increase basel upto 140% from 100 %
interested to see comments from other folk vic

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
7 years for me to go to catch up with your 61 years on insulin Vic but I had to smile at your description of needles like shotgun barrels because I remember them well.... and occasionally boiling them on a stove when I thought they should be sterilized.

From what you said it seems as if your insulin does eventually kick in. I'm using fiasp insulin which should be even quicker than Novorapid but my extra boluses don't seem to have any long lasting effect. Had a long conversation with a nurse at the firm who supply the Medtronic pump. Have now swapped canula placement from stomach to thigh, which I haven't used for ten years and that seems to be working ; no excess blood sugar since.