1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Where to buy freestyle Libra sensors

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by MIQ, Feb 15, 2018.

1. MIQ

MIQ Type 1 · Member

Hi

I have just got a machine and it is very helpful, but I have looked to buy more sensors so I always have one but they are £57!!!!!!!

Where is the best place to buy them

(I am gonna ring the dr tomorrow and see if I can have a prescription as I am type 1 and go through 100 blood sugar strips every 7 days)

2. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I believe some branches of Boots sell them, but I don't know where. You could try asking them if they could buy some in for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MIQ

MIQ Type 1 · Member

Yeah maybe

Thanks

4. ECDRUM

ECDRUM Type 1 · Active Member

5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

That is the full price including VAT. As you are diabetic they will knock the VAT off when you get to the payment panel. This reduces the price quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ECDRUM

ECDRUM Type 1 · Active Member

Getting sensors on prescription is a post code lottery with most CCGs restricting access to consultant prescription. If you agree with me that all type 1 diabetics should have this wonderful device on prescription please sign the government online petition at

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/204550

Thanks

7. MIQ

MIQ Type 1 · Member

I totally agree , as I use over £50 worth of strips every week so it would be cheaper me having these

8. Hopepat

Hopepat · Newbie

We are having trouble purchasing the libra lifestyle from chemist less vat. How can we get the vat back

9. BeckiDover

BeckiDover Type 1 · Active Member

I’ve seen quite a few posts on Instagram with people saying you can get them in certain Asda stores (from the pharmacy obviously, don’t think they store it next to the bread). Not sure which Asda’s but may be worth calling your local store if you have one.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Our Asda pharmacy sells them for £46. You get the VAT off if you are diabetic.
    EDIT OP was last on this thread over a year ago, but someone asking recent VAT question - you should get the VAT taken off at point of sale.

11. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know some pharmacies ask to see the medical exemption card to get it VAT exempt. But you have to call around each pharmacy to see how much they are selling it for. Call in advance because they prioritise prescriptions first before selling you one.

12. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Try all local pharmacies. Chain and otherwise.

Asda, Superdrug, boots, and all others. They do not have national pricing even across national stores. Ring around them all if you can’t get prescriptions for it. Remember to ask for vat free price if you are diagnosed diabetic. Type 1 or 2. Some so for the exemption certificate to prove diabetic status. Even type 2 on diet only are entitled to vat free though and a declaration covers this.

13. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just came along to ask the same question.
    They are available on line for around £57 from "online chemists R us" style web sites, but I'm not sure how reliable these suppliers are.
    Amazon supplies for just over £60 each and at least I know the returns policy usually works.

I may wander over to the local Boots and see if they can order.

Has anyone bought online, confirmed a reliable supplier, and managed to get the VAT knocked of?

If so, where, please?

14. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Try local chemists too and Asda and Superdrug (just under £50) . I’d ring around first.
    Any diagnosed diabetic can get the vat knocked off. The shop may have their own form or you may need to print off one from hmrc and take it with you.

15. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've bought them from Abbott with the VAT knocked off but I believe you still have to be an existing customer to get them due to supply issues. They are just under £48. You complete the VAT exemption form as part of the process.
    Currently, I get mine from the local ASDA pharmacy. I just phone them, tell them how many I want to order and they phone me when they are in (usually 1 or 2 days). They are £44 each excluding VAT . You have to complete the VAT exemption every time but there's not a lot to it.
    I found they were the best priced.

16. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I buy mine from our Asda pharmacy - usually have a few in stock. Just over £46 each and complete the VAT form. I have bought online via ebay and used Paypal to be able to get a refund if not as described - no issues but around £50 so Asda is cheaper anyway!! Amazon seems to be top end of pricing. I bought the reader (a brand new one) via ebay as well as Abbot are not selling anything except to current customers.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook