Where to buy test strips?

C

catherinecherub

I'm with RoseLin on this one. The PCT's are forcing people to be underhand and what they don't seem to realize is the costs they will incur when people get complications because they have been unable to monitor their diabetes and gain good control. The time between HBA1c's is enough for problems to surface. G.P.'s and D.N.'s are divided as to what numbers we should be striving for.
I notice that you are a type 1 LiL and thank God you will never have to face this problem. How would you ,if you were type 2, gain control without testing?
Regards, Catherine.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
why do you need to test if you don't take meds?

C

catherinecherub

Hi rogbert,
If you were trying to control your diabetes by diet only then how would you know if you were successful without testing?
Catherine.

garrycrone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went through this with the PCT and got quite angry. Like most type 2s who are concerned about this matter, I test every morning and if outside my optimum range (most days at the moment) I test after meals during the day. I know I can "adjust" my BSL by simpling reducing my carb intake until I get back into balance without having to increase my Metformin from the current 3 a day. It is impossible to do that with one HBA1C per year and an annual chat with my diabetic nurse as advocated by the PCT manager. When I engaged with her on the subject she rolled out the tripe that we all saw last year regarding supposed research into the cost-effectiveness of testing for type 2s. As per usual, she views all of us the same. Some type 2s are stable with their BSLs; I am not therefore testing is a necessary function for me. Anyway, getting to the point, I was due my annual review and having let rip at my diabetic nurse regarding testing and the PCT policy, she kindly informed that the view of the practice was different and if I used them correctly, didn't over-test and more importantly didn't hoard them in the cupboard where the would collect unused, I could have a regular supply of strips. I order three packets of 50 strips (Accu-chek Aviva) with my prescription which lasts me three months. Occaisionally I have needed more and had no problem getting them but I always take my readings with me to my reviews and can if needs be demonstrate that I practice a proper sensible regime. I would urge you to take the matter up with your doctor again. Take your readings with you and politely point that your efforts actually have a demonstrable impact on your own health-care which will probably have a positive impact on their budget. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing and paying for strips when you are not in a stable regime is in my view unacceptable. Good luck.

LiL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Catherinecherub,

I'm not saying RoseLin should not continue with what she has been doing, just that (as Garrycrone has stated below) if you inform your doctor about the reduction of costs by not ordering metformin when it's not needed and the impact that it has on your health, this would be a better way to go!

It worked for Garrycrone, why not everyone else?!

LiL

C

catherinecherub

Hi LiL,
RoseLin cannot get the test strips unless she takes medication. By refusing the Metformin she will not be able to have the test strips. Explaining to your G.P. is not the end of the matter and if you read through threads across the forum regarding test strips you will see that that it is all down to P.C.T's interpretation of the NICE guidelines. Some Dr's are more enlightened than others.
Some Type2's are automatically prescribed test strips upon diagnosis, some are given very little information about how to manage their condition and told that their HBA1c is all that is needed to see if they are managing. It isn't until the newly diagnosed become more informed by researching their condition that they realize that test strips are essential. There are Type 2's on this forum who are trying to fund strips on pensions and low incomes. They have tried to argue their case but failed in getting them prescribed.

Earlier on this thread, I have set out a strategy about how to complain. This was forwarded to me by the makers of my meter, Roche. You might be a bit cynical and think that they have a hidden agenda. This could be the case but the advice is quite sound. It is certainly worth a try.
Different Dr's have different ideas about acceptable levels of blood sugars and so, for Type 2's it is quite a minefield. There is obviously no uniformity of care and without testing it becomes even more bewildering.

In an ideal world we wouldn't be having this discussion and until the P.C.T's wake up to the fact that complications are going to cost them a lot more than test strips then this topic will go on and on.

RoeLin is doing the best she can to manage her condition and I agree that the Metformin she is prescribed is wasted money. It would seem that this is not a choice but a way of being a complication free, well controlled, happy Type 2 diabetic.

It worked for Garrycrone because his Dr. listened to him but as you will see by my post it doesn't work for everyone.

I am one of the lucky ones as I have an enlightened Dr. but I join in this discussion because I think my fellow suffers deserve better.

Regards, Catherine.

LiL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Catherine,

Complicated eh!
I wasn't aware that RoseLin didn't take any medication at all (I obviously missed that bit, sorry!).

I don't know why people think that having type 1 is worse than type 2. From my point of view, we are handed everything on a plate, yet you poor type 2's have to fight for everything! If my BG levels are high, I test and take my insulin, easy!
If not all type 2's are on medication, you must feel lethargic and rubbish most of the time! How on earth do you all cope?

LiL

C

catherinecherub

Thanks LiL for understanding my point of view. Type 2's can get control by adjusting their diet but have to test and test again to make sure.
I was diet controlled for three and a half years but then my levels went up for no apparent reason. I now know that it was because my insulin response changed. I then went onto medication and have been for the last two years. My levels are now acceptable again and I have been taken off the medication and hopefully will stay off albeit a "wait and see" scenario. Diet and medication are the only things available to Type 2's unless things get worse and we have to use insulin.
I think any type of diabetes is awful and have every sympathy for this complaint. I don't think you can say which type is worse although personally I think children with Type 1. have the hardest time. I also have to say that Type 2 has so many contributing factors and we are not all overweight slobs We are all in this together regardless of type and this forum is a lifeline for us.
Regards, Catherine.

C

catherinecherub

Hi all,
Am interested to know if anyone has tried complaining as I set out in a previous post. If so, has there been a response.
Thanks in advance,
Catherine.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know if you were to mention to your Diabetic Clinic at the hospital that you have trouble obtaining the strips if they might give you a prescription for them?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Fiona35,
It would certainly be worth mentioning about the test strips at the Clinic. It might work for you if your levels need checking more frequently if your blood sugars are not stable.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

C

catherinecherub

Have received two private messages concerning test strips, both from Type 1 's stating that there is not a problem with obtaining test strips.
This thread was about Type 2's and perhaps that has not been made clear throughout.
No one has any objection to Type 1's receiving test strips, it is a necessary part of their control. What is becoming more and more common is that test strips are being denied to newly diagnosed Type 2's and being restricted to those that previously did not have a problem with this.
Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

chocoholic

Well, I've experienced being treated as Type 1 and Type 2. My five years (wrongly diagnosed as Type 2) had me for 4 of those years on insulin. I had a constant battle for test strips and was only allowed 50 a month. Being on insulin, I found this astonishing and complained, first at my surgery, then to the head of medicine management at the PCT. We had a long, heated discussion and he would not give in on letting me have more strips, insisting I should only need to test once a day....yes, even though I was on insulin!!! It was SO frustrating. Shortly after this phone call, I was re-diagnosed as Type 1 but even now I can only get 100 test strips a month and I'd like twice that but short of doing a sit-in at the hospital, I don't know how I'll ever get them.

moonbeam

I saw my gp on Thursday and i asked about getting strips on prescrition, this is what he said, 'Testing type 2's doesn't seem to be benificial to anyone and its not cost effective'
That will be a no then :roll:
There is no way at the moment that i can afford to buy the strips so i will be unable to test and as a newish T2 i'd have really liked to just to get an idea of my BS readings, even if it was over a month or so.... how are we suposed to kow if we are doing anything right if we can't monitor it.
Maybe it's time that i looked for a new doctor, to be honest this one doesn't even listen to you and talks over you most of the time.

C

catherinecherub

Hi moonbeam,
I am sure if Drs had Type 2 diabetes then the test strips would not be an issue. It is like trying to drive a car but not being allowed any petrol.
If you read through this thread there are suggestions for how to put forward an argument for getting them prescribed. I think your idea of changing to a Dr. who listens is equally appealing.
Good luck.
Catherine.

Trinkwasser

Sounds like a new doctor would be a good plan, but the restriction on strips is probably a PCT thing and short of moving you may well find a better doctor equally unable to prescribe them.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Dr won't prescribe test strips for me, I've now been referred to the Diabetic Clinic at the hospital so I will ask them there about test strips, hopefully I'll have more luck. I just think it would help so much with motivation if I could see the effect day to day rather than having to wait three months for a hba1c test.