Which alcohols are best/worse?

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im going out tonight to see my friends off before they emigrate to Canada the lucky sods. My initial Diabetes Nurse appointment is still a week away so i thought id let my hair down and have a few drinks while im still mostly in the dark about things. Ive changed my diet quite a blt and am trialing new healthier meals too.

Im currently taking 500mg Metformin three times daily and a statin. I do like to get drunk but dont need much as i only ever drink a few times a year anyway on special occasions and so on.

Just wondered what others generally get away with drinking?

Should i avoid my meds for the day or evening?

Also which type of drinks are the best (or least worst) for blood sugar? I usually like a few pints of lager and maybe a shot or two off Disaronno or Sambuca. These last two im guessing are pretty high in sugar and if its the case of having to leave them im happy to drink something disgusting like vodka and diet lemonade.

Like i say i only drink 3 or 4 times a year so im hoping i can get away with a little tipple.

Many thanks :)

mikwell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey they used to give a glass of Guinness after ya donated to the blood bank ,
but in from Ireland it might have been just a brilliant promotion plan
ahh ha ha
You drink sambuka and you are gonna be in a bad state diabetics can not drink off the top shelf
please don't hey the mental stress will last for at least a week after .An alcoholic diabetic is likely to laugh uncontrollably without being drunk from the mental stress they are putting themselves through

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it really is your last fling (We all believe him don't we Mr. Flibber?) then you might as well just tie one on since you have already done any damage you are likely to do.

Once you have seen your DN and reformed (Hahahahaha) then mostly avoid the beer, moderate wine and as much spirits as your liver can stand.

I would normally take my own advice but I chose my avatar well. I drink wine.

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks very much for the replies. I know it was irresponsible but as an agoraphobic bloke that dosent get out much i had an absolutely fantastic evening. I went a little too mad on the drink but did stick to vodka (absolutely abhore the stuff) with diet lemonade/coke. When i finally see my DN next week i can discuss with her a sensible amount to drink in the immediate future. Like i said i rarely drink but i have my brothers wedding coming up in about 5/6 weeks.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to mention the mixers. Spirits do not have sugar in them due to the fact that they are distilled and not fermented and so do not start out with sugar or use the fermentation process. Mixers, however are mostly sugary drinks.

NHS has one policy on drink and it is the same whether you are diabetic or not. There are only so many units you can drink in a set period of time and for the sake of your general health (this is the NHS speaking) you should not exceed this limit. I can't remember the amount but 21 units come into it somewhere. Your DN only has the same advice to offer.

Emigration .....wedding ....birthday ......the sun coming up ...... it's Wednesday and so on. Enjoy ...I do.