Which BG target limits shall I enter in my settings?

erenta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member. In Jan, I was disagnosed prediabetic with A1c 6.1%. The GP gave me a warning and 3-month period to watch my food and lose some weight. So, I thought it would be a good idea to buy a BG monitoring device. I bought Accu-Check Nano. I've been using it since March 11. Last week, I did the new blood test and my A1c was 5.9%.

Along with Accu-Check Nano, I was using the app Diabetes:M. But for some reason, the settings were not correct and I kept eating not very appropriate food (e.g. small portions of honey) because I thought (!) that my readings were good: all green (normal) or blue (low).

So, I decided to find another app, MySugr. I entered all my old readings in the new app manually but I still don't know how to set the normal range, i.e. the target limit. I've checked online but I find controversial information, depending on the country and the website. I see that there are slightly different ranges (American Diabetes Association, diabetes.uk etc.)

I just had a reading of 5.9 after full breakfast. MySugr shows it as orange (high-ish). But when I check this site here it says it is normal.

If I knew that the interpretation of my readings was wrong, I would have eaten better and probably I would have a much lower A1c in the second blood test :(

Can you please help me set my app? Also, if you know any better app, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Cheers,
Evi

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find that many of us use the range of 4 to 7. At least, that is the range I use. However, it is usually best to set your own targets according to what is acceptable to you personally.

erenta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for your reply.

How should one know their own targets? My GP didn't even mention to buy the BG device. It was my own initiative.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only