Which do u prefer

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Hi i have been put forward to go on a pump and have a choice of 2 there is the animas and the medtronic i have researched them both and i prefer the medtronic to be honest but there are aspects of the animas that look good too
The medtronic mio infusion sets are swaying it at the moment just because they look the most convieniant and least painful option

I would like everyones opinions on the 2 pumps to helpe decide also did u have your choice in colour? As they both come in pink
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Both pumps are probably as good as each other....but in different ways... Medtronic pumps enable a very fine tune of basal rates and also a very very tiny amount of insulin to be delivered and also a fine tune over the TBR rate

Regarding infusion sets.... The Mio and the Inset II are more or less the same infusion set design. There are just subtle differences between the two.

For me.... I am swayed towards Animas and using Dexcom cgm for my next pump if I am able to change that is.....

The future is in cgm and its getting better and more accurate as time goes on.

Reactions: 2 people

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Thank u that helps loads i was told by my dsn that cgms wenrt available amd i would have to pay for them i think i may go the medtronic route as its cgm ready

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi,

I wasn't given a choice when I first got my pump but they put me on the Medtronic Veo Paradigm. I've been on it for 4 years now and just had my funding re-newed so I now have a pink pump lol (same model with slight upgrades).

I personally love medtronic. I can work the pump really easy, theres the standard stuff, bolus wizards to calculate your bolus when you input your bs and carbohydrates ready to eat. I also have used the enlite sensors with this pump and I love it (they can be a little temperamental to put in but I put that down to me being a little too slim).

I've even just commited myself to paying for my own sensor (£675 for a starter kit) as unfortunately I'm not eligible for the PCT to pay for it for me but I accept that. I'm only planning on using the sensors for when I go hiking/camping or to test my basal rates once a month so my expense to buy refils should only be about £265 every 5 months (1 pack contains 5 sensors).

Go with your gut instinct if you have a choice and do your research. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you pick. Good luck and welcome to the pump club LOL

VickiT11979

I have the Animas Vibe & love it - had the Animas 2020 before that for 4years & after trying the Medtronic Veo for 2weeks decided to stick with Animas - so it can't be that bad!
The Vibe is compatible with CGM - I'm self funding & using the CGM continuously at the moment. It's the Dexcom G4 sensors that are used and most people find them more accurate than the Medtronic sensors - I definitely did. It also worked out cheaper than self funding the Medtronic CGM both because the sensors are cheaper & because they last longer (my first I took out after 40days as I got scared it would get infected, but it was still working & there was no infection, other users say they last 14-50days). Medtronic sensors last about 10days max before they fail.

The infusion sets are similar, both pumps calculate the insulin dose needed as long as you enter your BG & carbohydrates eaten, or you can do this yourself if you prefer, then you make the final decision about what dose to give. They're similar size, come in various colours & both allow lots of fine tuning of basal rates.

Animas only allow you to set insulin:carb ratios as whole numbers, e.g. 1:10, 1:12, Medtronic lets you set them in 0.1 increments so your ratio could be 1:10.5 if that worked better for you.

If you intend to use CGM I'd definitely choose the Animas, if not either pump is very good & it's like comparing a Ford Focus with a VW Golf - both award winning, both very popular, both do similar things - neither a bad choice but you just have to go with the one you feel more comfortable with.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have got the Medtronic paradigm veo. I had to choose between 2 different pumps and I chose the Medtronic and chose the colour: blue! One thing I didn't consider (and sometimes I think it's been a mistake) was if the pump was water resistant or just splash resistant. The Medtronic is just splash resistant and that could be a problem if you love going to the beach and stay often in the water and play in the water for hours like I do. I am also going to start paying myself for the CGM as NHS doesn't pay for me. I do think CGM and pump together improve so much my quality of life.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Hahaha yh good point about being waterproof but im not a big swimmer the most i would do is have a bath and when i had a glucose monitor one i hung it over the side in a sandwich bag. Nurses idea!! I like the screen and simpicity of the medtronic and the slim design it looks nicer the animas looks a bit bulky im not bothered by the screen quality either the animas might be too bright with it being illuminated i just want the cellnovo pump i am looking forward to that one

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I agree if you're not sea/ water lover, like I am, splash/ water proof is not an issue. Have you seen the T-slim insulin pump? I don't know if its available in Europe now but it's worth checking if you still have a choice.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
It looks brillant but no its not available in uk yet im looking forward to the release of the cellnovo pump wireless handset and patch pump but not like the omnipod its like a zippo ligjter on a cable . I love technology so im excited for anything new comin out u would have thought samsung or sony would have given tech to pump systems connecting tjem to phones so they all have wireless hamdsets