1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which Insulin?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by bonerp, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. bonerp

    bonerp · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    83
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Hi
    I'm currently using novorapid but find I go high after meals then crash about 3 hours later. I've read this can be a problem with novorapid.

    So I'm wondering if anyone has used Apidra? If so how do you get on?

    Dont suggest humalog as I really dont like it! It works too quickly and stings when being administered!.

    thanks
    Paul
     
  2. iHs

    iHs · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,602
    Likes Received:
    2,320
    Trophy Points:
    158
    Unfortunately I havent got a pump Paul but I switched from Humalog to Apidra about 18 months ago and I havent regretted it one bit.

    My reason for switching was because of hypos. With Apidra I found that I needed to inject slightly more of it at breakfast even though my bg results were the same and my carb intake was likewise and then at lunchtime I needed to bolus less but eat more carb. Strange :roll: lol
    For me, its meant a faster action but of shorter duration so my hypos are now much milder and for sure its very seldom that I have a high bg 2hrs after I eat.

    Have a go - you might be pleased like me.
     
  3. bonerp

    bonerp · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    83
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Sarah,
    Do you mean using a multiwav bolus set for 1.5 hours?

    I get a bit mixed up when I should use these! For pizza and pasta I tend to use extended which seems to work ok if I set it over about 2-3 hours.

    I would be worried that if I shot 30% then the remaining 70% over another 1.5 hours that I'd be high earlier in that early time span rather than just later?

    Maybe it might be worth shooting up a bit before meals as currently (and when I was on MDI) I do it when I eat.

    Also if for example I eat double a normal (say 7 units) sized meal, should I do 14 over 2-3 hours instead of 14 straight away?

    thanks

    Finally, anyone else use 2 profiles, one for exercise days and one for rest days? I've got it cracked (basal wise) for exercise days so have just added another profile that is 10% higher basal rates for rest days. However seem to be low through the night again - maybe I should leave this time the same on both profiles as nighttime is a repair period regardless of exercise??

    Paul
     
  • Meet the Community

    Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

    Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

    Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

  • Like us on Facebook