Which Insulin?

bonerp

Hi
I'm currently using novorapid but find I go high after meals then crash about 3 hours later. I've read this can be a problem with novorapid.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used Apidra? If so how do you get on?

Dont suggest humalog as I really dont like it! It works too quickly and stings when being administered!.

thanks
Paul

iHs

Unfortunately I havent got a pump Paul but I switched from Humalog to Apidra about 18 months ago and I havent regretted it one bit.

My reason for switching was because of hypos. With Apidra I found that I needed to inject slightly more of it at breakfast even though my bg results were the same and my carb intake was likewise and then at lunchtime I needed to bolus less but eat more carb. Strange :roll: lol
For me, its meant a faster action but of shorter duration so my hypos are now much milder and for sure its very seldom that I have a high bg 2hrs after I eat.

Have a go - you might be pleased like me.

bonerp

Sarah,
Do you mean using a multiwav bolus set for 1.5 hours?

I get a bit mixed up when I should use these! For pizza and pasta I tend to use extended which seems to work ok if I set it over about 2-3 hours.

I would be worried that if I shot 30% then the remaining 70% over another 1.5 hours that I'd be high earlier in that early time span rather than just later?

Maybe it might be worth shooting up a bit before meals as currently (and when I was on MDI) I do it when I eat.

Also if for example I eat double a normal (say 7 units) sized meal, should I do 14 over 2-3 hours instead of 14 straight away?

thanks

Finally, anyone else use 2 profiles, one for exercise days and one for rest days? I've got it cracked (basal wise) for exercise days so have just added another profile that is 10% higher basal rates for rest days. However seem to be low through the night again - maybe I should leave this time the same on both profiles as nighttime is a repair period regardless of exercise??

Paul