Which is Best?

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just modified my breakfast from 1 Oatix with chopped Nuts which was giving me readings of about 7.0mml 1.5 hours afb and for the last few days tried yogurt and berries. The first day added Olive Oil [to delay Gastric emptying] and my readings were: 6.3 1hr afb/ 6.7 1.5hr afb / 7.0 2 hrs afb [rising but lower than the Oatibix at 1.5 hr]. So second day cut the Oil and my readings were 7.5 1 hr afb/ 6.7 1,5hrs afb/ 6.3 2 hrs afb [reducing].

At first I thought the 2nd days readings were better because I get the spike over and done with and then have a declining BG. Both days are the same at 1,5hrs [and lower than the Oatibix with the benefit of some fruit]. However, now on reflection I am thinking day one is better because although it starts at 6.3 [which is where I end on day 2] the spike at 2 hours [7.0] is actually lower than the initial spike on day 2 [7.5]. The downside is from the late spike on day 1 I would be above 6.8 for a lot longer.

So my question to you experts out there is this: is it best to keep the spike lower or get the BG down as fast as possible after first bite. Which of the 2 days is the best?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have some bacon and eggs and stop stressing so much?
Zero carb foods will likely have an insignificant impact on blood sugar.

Reactions: Auto E

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love your experiment!

I would say you would need to have tested longer (don't you wonder when you came back to baseline on both of those days?) and multiple days to really get your answer. To the best of my understanding, microvascular damage begins above 140mg/dL (7.8mmol/L) and the higher and longer it stays above 7.8 the more damage occurs. That said, we are probably all so unique, even in the ranges that microvascular damage is occurring. But nonetheless, I'd prefer to have lower but for longer - so I'd pick day 1. For myself, in those ranges, a nice walk after eating would do wonders to keep me nice and stable. That's what I do after my yogurt (which I eat for lunch).

Have you been doing more experiments in the past few weeks? :)