Which OGTT?

Doireallyneedanams

So after almost a year of paranoia regarding diabetes I’ve bit the bullet and got my GP to refer me for a private OGTT.

I have two siblings with type 2 & I was borderline in pregnancy with gestational diabetes. Since then I’ve eaten a low carb diet, follow up hba1’s were 30 & 31. During pregnancy it was 33. I eat a low carb diet though, so I don’t feel my follow ups are a good representation of what my body is up to.

Needless to say nobody is concerned apart from me, and I should probably look to my father who has white bread every morning & mash every night and is not even pre diabetic at 76, but... I worry.

Anyway, the clinic I’m going to offer a “basic” OGTT (fasting & 2 hours post) or a 3 test one (fasting, 1 hour, 2 hour)

I want a definitive diagnosis. Normal, prediabetic, diabetic. What is usually used for diagnosis? In pregnancy I believe it’s fasting & 2 hour, though I didn’t have it hence why I was never confirmed officially.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With an A1c of 31 post pregnancy you've optimal average blood glucose.
As your siblings have T2 ask for a lend of their meter.
Test your fasting, 4 - 5.6 is normal.
Then eat a carby meal, something with bread, rice or pasta & measure 2 hours later.
Normal is quoted as <7.8 @ 2 hours but if your in the 5s then give back the meter, take a deep breath & live your healthy life.

Btw low carbing is great, diabetic or not, huge benefits

Doireallyneedanams

With an A1c of 31 post pregnancy you've optimal average blood glucose.
As your siblings have T2 ask for a lend of their meter.
Test your fasting, 4 - 5.6 is normal.
Then eat a carby meal, something with bread, rice or pasta & measure 2 hours later.
Normal is quoted as <7.8 @ 2 hours but if your in the 5s then give back the meter, take a deep breath & live your healthy life.

Btw low carbing is great, diabetic or not, huge benefits

hi! Thanks for the reply.

I know it was a great result, but it wasn’t achieved through my pre pregnancy diet. I was not far off keto in the months leading up to my result of 30. I have yet to return to my old diet, so I don’t feel my hba1c is truly accurate.

I think for peace of mind I really would like a definitive “yes or no” which only an OGTT can give me.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi! Thanks for the reply.

I know it was a great result, but it wasn’t achieved through my pre pregnancy diet. I was not far off keto in the months leading up to my result of 30. I have yet to return to my old diet, so I don’t feel my hba1c is truly accurate.

I think for peace of mine I really would like a definitive “yes or no” which only an OGTT can give me.

If your do press forward with your 75g OGTT remember to carb up a few days beforehand if you are true Keto.
It takes your pancreas some time to remember how to release sufficient insulin to cover carbs if hasn't been in practice for some time.

Good luck

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyway, the clinic I’m going to offer a “basic” OGTT (fasting & 2 hours post) or a 3 test one (fasting, 1 hour, 2 hour)
When I had mine at a private pathology lab done it was a fasting bgl first, then drink the glucose drink, then a bgl test at 1 hour, then a 2nd test at 2 hours.

This was repeated about six weeks later to confirm I was T2.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Ronancastled You need to eat in excess of 150g of carbs daily for at least 3 days prior to the test or the results will be skewed. Because of your current diet your pancreas is used to producing only small amounts of insulin as this is all that is needed when hardly any carbs are eaten. To suddenly bombard the pancreas with 75g of pure glucose is a shock for it, and it will not be ready to produce sufficient insulin to cope with this. The private clinic medics will assume you eat a diet similar to everyone else, so may be unlikely to warn you about this.