Which One To Believe !!!

DRAGON76

Hi People.

Today before breakfast I took my BG Meter ( BG - Star ) reading was 5.4 but last night 2 hours after my food it was 5.9
I had special curry with rice & 8 chicken strips. So I thought that I reading was way out so I done a test with Accu - Chek Aviva and reading was 7.0 done a re-test with BG - Star reading was 7.7 .

Now it is very hard to keep check of my BG if they are to be between 4.7 before meals and no more then 8.5 2 hours after meals if the meters are so off track both meters have been tested with the stuff in the little bottles. Reading on the net both meters claim to be the best for readings but 1.6 is a lot out in my book when I am trying to keep in range as my reading could say 8.3 2 hours after my meals and real blood glucose would be 9.9 which is too high after meals or it could be 1.6 too low under 4.0 ..

What can I do or is there any meter out there that is up to the job of being right ... Thanks

Paulwbm

I can understand your frustration. I have an I-BGstar and have taken three readings from the same wound (if that's the right word) within seconds of one another (because I was sceptical about the first reading) and they were all different (9.4, 8.1 and 8.9). I don't think that this can be a precise science! I used the 8.9 reading as most likely to be correct in this case. Using two meters would not be a good idea, especially as the two sensors might use differing measurement principles. The important thing is likely to be the relative values you obtain from the one meter as these can reveal whether your levels are beginning to stabilise, or at least show a pattern that you can consider in conjunction with your food intake and exercise activity. It might be possible to check the accuracy of your meter when next visiting the diabetes nurse. You could compare readings taken from the same sample site and time. I assume that the professional instrument would be calibrated! I would love to hear from others, more experienced in metering BG levels and how to interpret, etc.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paulwbm

Worth having a look at other posts in this section. Just noticed one with the title "Please Hep" which could explain why I got three different readings. Squeezing the blood out!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do a solution test on your main monitor, if within range stick to that one. U will drive yourself mad comparing monitors and results. U could do a reading on one monitor 3 times with the same blood sample and have varying results. They all have a tolerance for accuracy but its the best we got at the moment. Stick with one. Only if you get an odd reading or feel odd and think the result is wrong re test. Honestly, carry on like that you'll go mad lol

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You know the monitors only have to be within 20% by law right? which means it could range like you say from the same sample...

Mel24

I always get told to use one blood glucose monitor by my dsn as if you test with two bm monitors they will have different readings. When I was in labour and was in hospital I was not allowed to use my own blood glucose machine and had to use their as they calibrate it every day.. I only used my own once as felt hypo and my blood glucose machine said 3.2 but had to do test on hospital machine and it said I was 2.9. They said Their machines are more accurate than my blood glucose monitors. So every glucose monitor will have a difference