Type 2 Which sensor is best?

LornaV

Hello, I’m new to this forum and have just begun to test my blood with gluco navii recently after being told by my doctor I was type 2 diabetic. I live in Belgium and there doesn’t appear to be much support here as she just sent me to a dietician who gave me a list of things I had to avoid and that was it. So diet and exercise is my treatment. Testing myself was never mentioned.
On reading on the forum here I started testing my blood myself but find it really a lot to prick every 1-2 hours after each meal.
I’d appreciate any advice on this or if investing in a continuous sensor would be a good idea. And if so, which one?

Also I seem to tolerate foods that are usually forbidden, like a half banana, an apple, even some small amounts of chocolate…. Is this normal? I also love my dolce gusto coffee in the morning, which I was forbidden to have, but doesn’t seem to increase my glucose reading hardly at all. Any thoughts?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Libre is usually the cheapest option.
It is not a "real time" CGM. You have to scan the sensor to download the last 8 hours of data.
It is also not the most accurate, especially with high levels.

Apart from that, the key thing to remember is that we are all different (as you have spotted with your bananas). Some of us find Libre is the most accurate. Some find Dexcom us. Others find the Medtronic Guardian.
In other words, you are not looking for the best CGM on average, you are looking for the best CGM for you.
That means the best for your budget to the accuracy you need with the best reader/app to get the data you need, that provides the accuracy you need for your body.

LornaV

It is not a "real time" CGM. You have to scan the sensor to download the last 8 hours of data.

Apart from that, the key thing to remember is that we are all different (as you have spotted with your bananas). Some of us find Libre is the most accurate. Some find Dexcom us. Others find the Medtronic Guardian.
In other words, you are not looking for the best CGM on average, you are looking for the best CGM for you.
That means the best for your budget to the accuracy you need with the best reader/app to get the data you need, that provides the accuracy you need for your body.

Thank you.

Barneybubbles

Hi I am new to this forum, but was given a trial of Freestyle libre 2 last December. I find that this sensor not to be accurate and on many occasions, have had a reading way in excess of the finger prick tests, For example last night the sensor showed 16.2 with a horizontal line, meaning it should not drop very much, but finger prick 13.7. Often the discrepancy is more and the possibility of injecting too much insulin to get a reading in the normal range is more likely. and could be dangerous
I have told my diabetes team I am not confident in using this sensor any longer, and will hopefully be switched to the Dexcom this week or next.
Has any other Type 1 diabetic had problems like this, and can anyone tell me their experience of Dexcom

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Barneybubbles have you been informed about the limitations of any CGM and been told when you should double check with a finger prick?
For example, CGMs (and Libre) are designed to be most accurate between 4 and about 9 mmol/l/. If you are under or over this range the advice is to always finger prick test.
If your levels remain above 10, you are unlikely to find Dexcom to be any more accurate. You re trying to use it for something for which it is not designed.

I have trialed a number of CGMs, including Dexcom, and found a calibrated Libre (using ta third party app) to be the most accurate for me provided I keep my levels in range.