Which surprising foods spike your bg?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @Bluetit1802 I tend not to get surprise spikes foodwise, I've simply learned which foods are high in carbs and avoid them. And again, I sometimes find too much of some low(er) carb foods can add up to higher levels (bumps rather than spikes) than smaller amounts.

What did surprise me initially was what effects other things couild have on overall levels (perhaps rather than spikes), and these include health/illness, pain, some medications (e.g. statins and corticosteroids, and a recent new blood pressure pill) , stress, irritating husbands, etc.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What did surprise me initially was what effects other things couild have on overall levels (perhaps rather than spikes), and these include health/illness, pain, some medications (e.g. statins and corticosteroids, and a recent new blood pressure pill) , stress, irritating husbands, etc.

I knew about steroids and statins increasing BS levels but took very little notice of medicines in general because I haven't needed to take any for years. Following an incident before Christmas (two faints on consecutive days) I was sent to hospital for monitoring, and was prescribed a beta blocker by the hospital doctor who was fully aware of my diabetes status. Being me, on discharge from hospital I started researching this medicine and was horrified to find my particular tablet is not a good choice for diabetics. It has been shown to cause a 22% to 28% increase of new-onset T2 diabetes, and in those already T2 the side effects include increased insulin resistance with worsening glycaemic control. (In those on insulin it has even more undesirable side effects due to creating an increased frequency of hypo unawareness.)

I can confirm that this tablet, even at the lowest dose, does in fact increase BS levels. I am hoping I won't be needing them much longer, but if I am I will be asking for a different type. How come the hospital doctor (a consultant) prescribed them in the first place?

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge and honey
But i mine can go to 14mmol-22
However i can get it back down by going for a bike ride for 40min
Were you really surprised that such high carb foods spiked your BG?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Were you really surprised that such high carb foods spiked your BG?
Well yeah when i first was diagnosed.
My doc didnt believe me when i told him
But saying this i have stopped takeing my drugs and if i have porridge now it only hits 10 and then back down to around 7.mmol 7.5.
My docs havent told me what to eat and what not and NHS got rid of all the dietitions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But saying this i have stopped takeing my drugs and if i have porridge now it only hits 10 and then back down to around 7.mmol 7.5.
My docs havent told me what to eat and what not and NHS got rid of all the dietitions.

Are you happy with "only 10" and a drop to the 7's? What time after starting to eat do you see the 10, and what time the 7s, and what were you before you ate?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
No not really. I can get my carb counting wrong on times but not much really spikes my bg's

Reactions: steveis36

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh its morning
I have my big carbs in morn/breakfast and my bgs are 7.5 sometimes in 6.6mmol but no ive stop taking drugs its around more 7. and about an 1.5hour later its 10 and then 30 min later 7.5
For me i guess im lucky as i find cycling brings my bg down and if i watch what i eat about 5.mmol.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just discovered that Monin sugarfree syrup spikes me to 14. Yikes! Didn't expect that. Are there any foods that cause you a spike, that you wouldn't expect?

Just because it says sugar free doesn't mean it won't spike you. Also sugar free is a very suspect label It just means that another, probably spike inducing substance has been used. Manufacturers are very clever and quite frankly don't give a **** about diabetics They;re only interested in the bottom line.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oatmeal. They claim oatmeal has slow carbs, but I don't see that. No matter how I eat them or how much of it.

Oatmeal isn't low carb, I'm afraid, it's also a grain, which tends to spike most diabetics.