Which test should I trust?

mariacpdb

Hi ,
I am new to all this but I am hoping someone will have more knowledge to advise. I have not been diagnosed as diabetic but I have several of the predictive factors- overweight, in my 50's and my father developed it in his 50's. My sister was also diagnosed as pre-diabetic 2-3 years ago (in her 50s) but managed to lose some weight. I also have high blood pressure. On the plus side I eat a very healthy diet just too much of it and get moderate exercise. I have had phases however when I queried whether I might be diabetic- I get excessively tired and feel like I am in a foggy state and I want to drink more- usually several large glasses in an hour. It doesn't feel like a normal thirst and my mouth is not dry but drinking slowly helps me feel better. But it might take several days before I feel well again.
However both my blood tests in the last two years came back saying I was not diabetic. I don't know the name but it was not a fasting one and is supposed to show how you have done in the last three months. So how accurate are these tests? If they average the last three months is it possible to have phases within that when blood sugars are higher? I am just wondering how much I should persist with my GP or just take a step back? They seem to be relaxed about it and are focussing on my BP.
I am not normally anxious about these things but with my family history I just wanted to rule this out as an explanation. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The test you are talking about is an HbA1c and it shows your average blood sugar over a period of 3 months. It gives you a good indication and is reliable, if it says you are not diabetic then you're not. Have you been keeping a record of the results as if they are slowly creeping up it could become an issue in the future. I would persevere and keep getting the test done as it is great you are being pro active with your health.