Which yoghurt do you buy?

ShyGirl

I usually eat natural yoghurt now after my usual brands were too unhealthy. I was wondering why some people use Greek yoghurt , some natural and so on.

What yoghurt do you eat?

jane22

I also eat plain yogurt and add some fruit to it, usually berries. I vary what I buy but do enjoy greek yogurt most. I really like the texture of it and spend a lot of time in Turkey where the yogurt is much the same.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Greek yogurt Always
Made from whole milk
Hana

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I also eat Greek joghurt (Total). I used to eat 2% fat joghurts but now I have upped the fats and lowered the carbs so I am eating the full fat ones. The full fat ones have less carbs than the 2% ones. I must say they are delicious.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greek yoghurt (yeo valley) - it has the highest fat.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
10% natural greek yogurt from LIDL. Cheap, creamy and delicious.

alaska

'Total' yoghurt is a good buy - 4g of carbs per 100g of yoghurt.

Supermarket greek yoghurt seems to vary from 5g per 100 to 8g per 100. I avoid the low fat ones as they have more carbs - however, sometimes the packaging of the low fat ones is very similar to the non-low fat.

Cowboyjim

Ho ho... yogs again... we get various ones including Lidl and others' Greek yog and add fruit etc.
Onken can be down to about 8g most of which is sugars... others are double this so to avoid.
It is a big con IMHO... the public want to think the are eating a healthier food and it says low fat. But it looks to me like they have added sugars. Crazy or am I missing something? Eat that without exercise - even if you are non DM - and you will store the calories as fat?

Quantities of course are important. I have a couple of spoons with the berries and add some cream to up the fat. Does that make sense?
Sometimes I sprinkle on some allbran or oats, and cinnamon too maybe.
Lordy you have to vary it to avoid the boredom of so few easy pudding options.8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I don't know if it makes sense either but I also like to add cream to my greek yoghurts - natural not fruit. The fat in the cream helps to slow absorption of the carbs which aren't very many if you eat the full fat version. And it tastes so good yum :wink: I eat 3 a day - one for breakfast which is all I have, then one for pudding after lunch and supper. Putting on weight though so may have to cut the cream out :(

Cowboyjim

Daisy's got the cream.... sort of appropriate that... :D

No berries? I know they go off quick but they can come frozen...

I prob have yog three times day but have a 'second breakfast' (egg based) because I want to gain weight. I work at home so it is easier.

Some days I leave a gap in between the meat course (lunch and dinner) and the pud (yog) to ease up the load. Dunno if that makes sense.

Got some diabetic ice cream now and that's tasty in small amounts. 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
The cat that got the cream :wink: Actually Daisy is my cat :)

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also like the Yeo Valley Greek yoghurt and often pop in some Da Vinci sugar free flavoured syrup for a quick dessert. I like the caramel and vanilla syrups best. Nice with Raspberries too.

Sometimes I make Greek yoghurt in my Easi-Yo just add water to the powder for a 1 litre tub. Once you've bought the kit it can be a great way of saving money as it can under £1 for a litre depending on where you buy the sachets and you get them in packs of 10 for best value.

Only drawback is it takes 8-10 hours to make a 1litre batch. Also you could make it overnight for breakfast yoghurt.

jaykay

Have greek yoghurt with the granola recipe from this forum for breakfast ....yum! And it stops me snacking mid morning- when I had just yog and berries, I always got hungry :(

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love Geek yoghurt. Yeo valley is my favourite and I often have it at lunch time, It is 10% fat and about 10 grams carb for a decent sized serving.

Very delicious and I often have it with a teaspoon of Pine honey. I don't have a clue what the carb content of the honey actually is, but count a tiny teaspoonful as about 10grams carb. It works for me :D

findave

But why buy?

We use a yoghurt maker (from Lakeland - about £19 ) It's extremely simple to make. You just pour in a litre of full-cream UHT milk and a spoonful of starter yog, leave it overnight and it's ready to eat once it's cooled down. The quality is great, and the cost is about 45p a litre. You can also make a (sort of) greek style by adding cream.

One great advantage is that you know exactly what goes into it. With supermarket stuff you don't.

David Wilson