White coat syndrome

saudidave

Thanks for the response Grazer. If you read through the thread, you will note that I stated some 4 posts or so ago that I was under no illusions that something was going on with my blood sugar levels. My point here is that I appear to have been labelled type 2 diabetic by a nurse who observed 2 fasting tests of 7.0 yet who was in receipt of a GTT showing a 2 hour level of 5.8. When the diagnosis was made I hadn't had an A1c done. That turned out to be 5.5%, which indicates an average of 5.4mmo/L and was at the end of a stressful period in my life when my diet, alcohol consumption and general healthcare was quite frankly, atrocious. I'm not surprised it was relatively high

Whether or not I am a type 2 diabetic with these figures I don't know but I should have thought that given the conflicting information and being aware of the implications of labelling a patient as a diabetic of any genre, a healthcare professional might have undertaken more investigations before doing so.

I'm now addressing my lifestyle; I've lost a stone in a month; I'm eating sensibly, have gone teetotal and cycle 10miles a day. If I am diabetic, then so be it. I'm not in denial, but I am angry that the NHS has labelled me without proper and thorough investigation.

As for my life assurance, I have recently applied for an increase in cover due to having been made redundant and losing the company cover I had before. It hasn't yet been accepted and I informed the company of the issues I was facing currently, hence the increase