Who is troubled by injecting in public? Just me?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've completed your form also :)

I certainly try to avoid using toilets etc. for hygiene but I am definitely self-aware when doing my testing, injecting when out and try to be discreet about it. I have more of a battle with myself than anyone else (inner anxiety vs. a determination and necessity to keep myself healthy) in public places.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I try to do it discreetly, in my leg under a table, but I do use my arms, and stomach area. I don't 'shout' about it, it's just my way, down to our own individual personalities and maybe gender too.
Survey done.

Likewise RRB, you can be quite discreet injecting insulin at a table, I've done it many a time and my wife (and other guests) haven't even noticed :)

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've completed your form also :)

I certainly try to avoid using toilets etc. for hygiene but I am definitely self-aware when doing my testing, injecting when out and try to be discreet about it. I have more of a battle with myself than anyone else (inner anxiety vs. a determination and necessity to keep myself healthy) in public places.

Determination is a key factor if ever I feel self-conscious about injecting in public---it usually wins out. If it doesn't, my health is at a loss, as you said.

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Likewise RRB, you can be quite discreet injecting insulin at a table, I've done it many a time and my wife (and other guests) haven't even noticed :)

I agree. Perhaps it's centre-of-the-world syndrome that's causing to me think people would be looking ;)

I did once have a young girl ask out of curiosity... after an explanation, she was most interested in the part where I told her I *have* to eat a handful of sweets sometimes :happy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree. Perhaps it's centre-of-the-world syndrome that's causing to me think people would be looking ;)

Funny thing is, when I did the DAFNE course several years ago it was strange seeing other people inject at the table and I couldn't help but look :)

Reactions: Struma

janeridal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Questionnaire completed. Having been diagnosed 2 years ago, age 62, I do still feel somewhat self-conscious about injecting in public; but as others have said, needs must. I'm not giving up eating outside the home - that would be to let the diabetes win! Unfortunately I regularly draw blood when injecting in my legs, so it's stomach only rather than inject through the trouser leg as I believe some people do. I do use the loo if possible - I don't think that's inherently unhygienic (though I do hate public loo cubicles without a single flat surface!) mainly because I don't want to cause upset for others. But I think I'm becoming more brazen as I get more used to it! Injecting at a picnic in the middle of the Papuan rainforest was a rather different challenge... I too will be very interested to hear the conclusions of your research.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your survey can't be completed if you pump? I currently do 0 injections per day, but I have done 4-7 prior to pumping, I have experience of injecting in public from that, I also have experience of changing pump sites in public following pump failures when I'm out and about but because there's no option to say I pump or that I do 0 injections per day I can't see how to complete the survey with the required questions answered.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and himtoo

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your survey can't be completed if you pump? I currently do 0 injections per day, but I have done 4-7 prior to pumping, I have experience of injecting in public from that, I also have experience of changing pump sites in public following pump failures when I'm out and about but because there's no option to say I pump or that I do 0 injections per day I can't see how to complete the survey with the required questions answered.

Hi @catapillar ! Thanks so much for your interest and eagerness to complete the questionnaire. Would you be able to answer the survey from the perspective of when you were injecting? Best, A. :)

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
(...) Unfortunately I regularly draw blood when injecting in my legs, so it's stomach only rather than inject through the trouser leg as I believe some people do. (...) Injecting at a picnic in the middle of the Papuan rainforest was a rather different challenge... I too will be very interested to hear the conclusions of your research.

Do you know if a significant number of people inject through their trouser leg?

Papuan rainforest, wow! May I ask why you were there?

Pauntiep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject happily in public through my trousers/dress without making a fuss. My problem is sometimes remembering, as I'm not in my normal environment with all my equipment to hand. The most inconvenient thing is fitting needles/pen/meter in my tiny going-out handbag, and disposing of used needles/ lancets / test strips etc away from home.

I regularly test and inject at work at my desk, nobody bats an eyelid.

P x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Questionnaire done. More than happy to inject anywhere anytime.
Have in the past purposely injected in my arms in " posh restaurants " just to wind up fellow diners at other tables, but only if they give me one of those " you can't possibly dine here wearing jeans and a t shirt " looks.:):):)

Manta100

My hubby has been diabetic for over 30 years - he's just filled in your questionnaire. I just wanted to say how great it is that you're doing research into the psychological side of being diabetic. It's long overdue!!

Reactions: Ledzeptt and himtoo

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I inject happily in public through my trousers/dress without making a fuss. My problem is sometimes remembering, as I'm not in my normal environment with all my equipment to hand. The most inconvenient thing is fitting needles/pen/meter in my tiny going-out handbag, and disposing of used needles/ lancets / test strips etc away from home.

I regularly test and inject at work at my desk, nobody bats an eyelid.

P x

If only it was acceptable for men to carry a going-out handbag.. :D

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Questionnaire done. More than happy to inject anywhere anytime.
Have in the past purposely injected in my arms in " posh restaurants " just to wind up fellow diners at other tables, but only if they give me one of those " you can't possibly dine here wearing jeans and a t shirt " looks.:):):)

Thanks for completing the questionnaire! Liking your bold style -- more of this!

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My hubby has been diabetic for over 30 years - he's just filled in your questionnaire. I just wanted to say how great it is that you're doing research into the psychological side of being diabetic. It's long overdue!!

Hi @Manta100 ! Thank you so much for your kind words. Please thank your husband for me, it's a great help. :) I have always been astounded by the very thin ground on this niche subject area compared to other conditions.

Trina_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Just completed the questionnaire. Mine is super long-winded but I like to give too much info than not enough! I must admit I occasionally get anxious about it but for the most part it's so discreet no-one even notices. I have two little cousins (10 and 8 years old) who make a bit of a scene and say they don't like it, I half think it's because it's unusual and they're at an age where they understand they can say if they don't like something. However, I figure they should learn it's normal in case any kids in their school have it. And a lot of the time they don't realise it's done until they see me clippingthe needle :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

We've had this discussion on the forum before, some people do inject through clothing but it isn't recommended.

Reason being that the needles are ultra-fine and contain a lubrication to help ease the injection process, so injecting through clothing will blunt the needle and will remove the lubricant which may make the injection more painful. Plus clothing contains bacteria and will contaminate the needle (so you can see why it's not recommended or hygienic.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and Struma

janeridal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Papuan rainforest, wow! May I ask why you were there?
I don't know figures - but I do know that a friend has said her cousin does it if they're in a social context. I have to assume she doesn't wear denim! Papua - my husband and I are world birders, and I refuse to let the diabetes interfere with that. Actually, it's easier in a tropical climate - no layers of clothing to get through!

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was out with my therapy group on a shopping trip a couple of weeks ago. We ended up getting ice cream and sat outside with the ice cream to eat it in the little bit of sun we had that day. I told everyone I had to inject and they were very encouraging. "Do what you gotta do! Nobody's business but you're own."

I tried to be as discreet as possible using my shoulder bag in front of my lap because I'm worried about people with needle phobias more than I am about keeping it a secret, but I didn't feel hugely uncomfortable - mostly a little uneasy because it was a new experience. I've only been on insulin for 4 months and not yet had many instances where I was outdoors/in public for an injection, but I vowed to myself from the start I wasn't going to hide it, I'd just be discreet because I know phobias are no joke. If someone sees it while I'm being discreet they were obviously prying and then it stops being my problem!

I do have a history with getting hassled out in public because I eat. I'm fat and some jerks really don't hold back on making their opinion known that they find me disgusting when I eat something quick and not too healthy while walking/biking (nothing like an ice cream cone while biking through the German and Dutch landscape lol). I was 15 the first time this happened and it's happened often since and left a mark. It makes eating in public something I avoid in general and sometimes I feel an injection will be 'another' prompt for harassment like this ("she's so fat and unhealthy she has to take insulin from self-induced diabetes!"), so I do feel some anxiety about it.

Buuuuuuuut jerks who are that rude are generally miserable shits without compassion or a single grain of humanity in them. They usually look like the type that hurt defenseless animals, so I try to remember that their opinions aren't worth fussing over even if it's hard at times. I'm beautiful and taking care of my health around the clock, I'm allowed a treat when I'm out and about like anyone else. They don't know how much time I spend trying to be healthy even if I don't fit the physical ideal of health.

Last edited:

JoCo

I'd definitely like to see the results!
I was diagnosed with Type 1 less than a year ago and I still find it incredibly difficult to take my equipment out in public..especially on a night out. Does it get easier with time?
Just do it. Few people will even notice. But, maybe not way out in front of everyone, some kid will ask questions ! And maybe not in the washroom, you will arouse suspicions of being a druggy. Toilets are not the best place anyhow, not clean enough. It may help you if you have a good, well trained friend with you, that knows what to do if you go hypo too. If they look comfortable next to you whilst you inject, no-one else will be concerned. Act natural, like it's something you do 4-5 times a day.