Who is troubled by injecting in public? Just me?

Mollie69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will complete your survey shortly. I no longer have issues with injecting in public after 2 little old ladies accused me of taking drugs. Fortunately my mum was with me and announced to the restaurant and the old ladies in particular that yes I was taking prescribed drugs and if I didn't I would die!
I was injecting in the toilet of a restaurant and came out to find some woman complaining to the manager that I was "shooting up". I tried to explain to her that I was diabetic and needed to inject insulin. Her response "you junkies always have an excuse". After that I always inject in the open. If they're going to judge me anyway why should I hide away in an unhygienic environment

Rob_UK

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Politics and politicians.
I have just completed your questionnaire and would also be interested in the results.

I never inject in public, and like others I will try and find a rest room although these can often be quite disgusting, making for a distressing experience - I mean, injecting in what are usually the most filthy places. I carry my insulin pen, a few spare needles and a little bottle of hand cleanser in a small pencil case. It's discrete and unlikely to attract attention - even had someone think it was a drawing kit when they saw it! :)

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,
I done the first questionnaire but before I signed up to the site..
Yes I feel totally ashamed sometimes injecting in public so I try to inject in the toilets instead, despite being a diabetic for almost 32yrs. Seems soo long but yes still feel bad, guess it was in the start when I tried I over heard someone say something that went my god junkies everywhere and now we have f#@!ing Asian ones. Made me hate myself even more, took me about 7yrs to forgive myself for being a type 1 diabetic :(

Wow. I am sorry to hear that you have faced such nasty people when injecting. They are in the minority. I am sure others will join me in agreement in saying that they really have nothing better to comment on or think about. Our pancreas' might've packed up, but our resilience has strengthened!

Last edited:

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Completed your questionare, people don't know we are diabetic and we can often get misjudged. I hate the whole thing it feels like people think you get your stuff out for sympathy or as a boast.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone it is a cruel disease and as a type 1 I have no chance of beating it just managing it. Until diabetes developed in me I never really understood it. It can seem very lonely sometimes and I mean just the disease.

Thanks for your responses! I am sorry to hear that you feel lonely as a cause of having the disease, it is a very common and deeply unfortunate feeling shared by many of us at one point or another. The support here on this forum is top notch -- keep making use of it! Stay well.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was injecting in the toilet of a restaurant and came out to find some woman complaining to the manager that I was "shooting up". I tried to explain to her that I was diabetic and needed to inject insulin. Her response "you junkies always have an excuse". After that I always inject in the open. If they're going to judge me anyway why should I hide away in an unhygienic environment

And they never have an excuse for being the ignorant people that they so often are... Well done for injecting in the open, keep it up!

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can only mean this contraption:

worst_lancet_device.jpg

It was pure torture using it @iHs

Used one of those brutal things for many years!

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just completed your questionnaire and would also be interested in the results.

I never inject in public, and like others I will try and find a rest room although these can often be quite disgusting, making for a distressing experience - I mean, injecting in what are usually the most filthy places. I carry my insulin pen, a few spare needles and a little bottle of hand cleanser in a small pencil case. It's discrete and unlikely to attract attention - even had someone think it was a drawing kit when they saw it! :)

Thanks so much for completing the questionnaire. I, too, have sometimes resided to finding a bathroom to inject in. It can be a relief if I'm feeling particularly self-conscious... injecting in private, that is! In the meantime, you'll have to produce some works of art during your bathroom breaks ;)

Mandeepsingh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello newbie contributor to posts but have used forum to find help and advice for a while.

Completed your survey just.

Been diabetic for over 20 years now injecting in public now not a real concern for me. Only real issue is taking all the kit with me. That said much easier now with pens and compact testers. I was diagnosed when syringes and glass vials were the only thing you had.

I carry my kit in a soft textile case for my meds and a soft case that came with my tester

gizmocasper71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

A doctor once told me that injecting would gradually become "like shaving", somehow normalised by routine. While I can decide whether to let loose and grow a wild beard—the same cannot be said for diabetes. And also, who shaves in public?

I've never had anyone stare, yet I find the act of injecting in public alienating, sometimes anxiety-inducing, and often impractical, regardless of the 10 seconds the act requires. Injecting doesn't stop me from living life, but I have noticed this recurrent trend.

As I feel alone in this act that others (non-diabetics) do not have to perform, and as such have not been able to speak openly and discuss this issue, I am now doing a small behavioural study linked to my postgraduate research at university. I am extremely interested in how people who require insulin injections feel about doing so in public. I'd like to get something concrete on this matter.

I have put together a small survey that really only takes two mins to complete. There are two versions of the survey. You can complete both if they apply.

The first is for people with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/qgyDLjl2BzjXeYyV2

The second is for a parent/guardian or partner of a person with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/32IKoZ9Pmo027tz32

I would be eternally grateful to you if you help me out! Let me know if you'd be interested in seeing the results too. But also, feel free to share your thoughts in the thread!

i have filled survey and would like to read the full study once you have completed it and handed in the full works that you will get marked on at the university.

Reactions: doyoutakesugar

Luano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just filled out your questionnaire, I am fortunate enough to not have any trouble injecting in public, but as mentioned by other members, i don't make anything of it, just get on and do it quick, most people don't notice I've found

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been diabetic for over 20 years now injecting in public now not a real concern for me. Only real issue is taking all the kit with me. That said much easier now with pens and compact testers. I was diagnosed when syringes and glass vials were the only thing you had.

I carry my kit in a soft textile case for my meds and a soft case that came with my tester

Thanks for completing the survey! Glad to hear you have no serious problems injecting in public. All the kit can be a bind. I find it can make the most unfortunate areas of one's pockets bulge... o_O (or fortunate, depending on who you're trying to impress....)

Last edited:

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have filled survey and would like to read the full study once you have completed it and handed in the full works that you will get marked on at the university.

Thanks for completing and many more thanks for your interest! Once I have the results, I'll post them up in article form.

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive just filled out your questionnaire, I am fortunate enough to not have any trouble injecting in public, but as mentioned by other members, i don't make anything of it, just get on and do it quick, most people don't notice I've found

Thanks for completing the questionnaire. Glad you have no problems. I have found that being involved in a conversation with a friend while you inject can be a good way to relieve one's own focus sometimes

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have completed the survey. I have no problems injecting in public around friends and family but will go to almost any length to avoid it in business lunches!

Grzegorz_Gd

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Just did the survey and can't wait to see the results. I'm usually ok with the injection in the public. Started to do it after the initial shock (diagnosed problems July 2016) as I wanted to enjoy the life like previously. I think the better not hiding it as generally it improves people knowledge about the topic. I was asked few time something about living with diabetic when was doing it in restaurant. Cheers :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Used one of those brutal things for many years!

Me too, a blast from the past. I was explaining to my partner what it was like years ago and I remember the anticipation of how fierce it would catapult down on the finger, ouch

Queen_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What a great idea! Good luck and yes id also be interested in the results although reading the comments I think we all suffer from anxiety about injecting in public. I've had the condition since I was 7 and im now 51 so the disposable pens were a godsend! Prior to this was a whole raft of items you needed to take just to have your injection whilst out and about.
After 44 years ive never had one bad comment when doing my injection in public but its something I tried to hide. I find the least obvious place to inject and go from there. Most people at work used to notice the smell and made more comments on that than what I was doing. I used to ask anyone close by if they hated needles so I didnt freak them out but most didnt care or wanted to watch... So sometimes it can be an education and not just an anxiety frest ;)

iHs

[QUOTE="noblehead, post: 1451333, member: n only mean this contraption:

worst_lancet_device.jpg

It was pure torture using it @iHs[/QUOTE]

Most certainly was .......imagine a fingerprick setting of 6 and you get the picture lol.
I used it about 4 times a month and used Clinistix instead until 1983 when I bought a Cardsense meter which had a memory of 10 and the teststrips available by prescription. I later bought a Thereasense Freestyle meter, a Bayer Espirit and then stayed with Abbot Freestyle Mini for many years until I started pumping with the Spirit Combo which needed Aviva strips to make it work all ok.