who's had the pump? and what's it like..

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have the pump and have been on it for 6 1/2 years I love it I wouldn't be without it it's saved my life and just last week saved it again. I'm at home recovering from a major op with lots of blood loss. I was taken into theatre as an emergency and just had enough time to explain to the anesthetist how it worked to save me going onto a sliding scale or having it completely removed. They decided to keep it attached as they couldn't find enough viens to also put in a sliding scale as well as blood and fluids and everything else. when I came out 3 hours later my reading was 8.2 and it hadn't dropped in the op as the basal had been turned down 30%. It was soo handy to have my pump during recovery as well as I could have it turned down because of blood loss and blous extra whenever I felt I could eat. It wasn't essential for me to be able to eat and I didn't need to have the extra glucose and sliding scale up (they wouldn't have had enough space) and my blood sugar control overall in hospital and out was excellent the best out of all the diabetics that were on the floor apparently (I went low once and above 8 3 times). I know if I was on injections my sugars would have been all over the place.

But overall day to day I love it as well (big surprise). I have excellent control and a very flexible lifestyle, I can eat what I want within reason, have lie-ins when I've got time, skip meals, and adjust easily so I don't go low during sports which I do a lot of mainly outdoors stuff. My life is just so much easier on a pump than injections. I'm still working how to get my levels slightly more controled especially around the time of the month but that is something ongoing and I think there will always be bits you want to get more contol over. I think most people find the hardest thing about it is being attched to it all the time it just depends what your personality is if you can cope with that. It doesn't bother me in the slightest I used to go to clubs when I first got it with it smack in my clevage and my friends used to press the button to see what time it was. But that's me there's plenty of ways to seceretly hide it as well I've made lots of little pouches that fit on pants and bras and on dresses etc which mean I can get to it and no one can see it.

Just in case I'm not making it clear enough I love my pump and would definitely reccomend getting one to anybody but I would also suggest reading through all the posts on the forum where the question is about pumps or injections what would you prefer? There are loads of posts on there giving both sides to put things into perspective. don't be put off some people where getting confused between how it was funded and how it's attached to you but just make sure you read them all and if there is anything you are confused about or just don't get feel free to message me back with the specifics.
Best of Luck Laura

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received my first pump on Monday! 3 1/2 days on - I love it! It is quite a lot of work at the beginning, but I can see how wonderful it will be. It has already changed my life - I can sleep and know that I will not hypo. I feel alot more awake.

My advice - ask for one! It is brilliant! :thumbup:

Garthion

I have a pump too, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Started on it in July and have lowered my HbA1c by 2% (at least) since then. I can eat what ever I want (or not as the case may be) and I feel soooooo much better.