Why Am I Having A Hypo??

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
I don’t understand why I am having a hypo when I have had my insulin and eaten. It doesn’t make any sense to me!

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
IMG_3596.png

Antje77

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You're a newly diagnosed T1 so likely in the honeymoon period where your pancreas slutters out unpredictable amounts of insulin.
You're also on fixed dose of insulin and not matching your doses to the carbs you eat.

Of course your dose won't be perfect in those circumstances, how could it be?

Your graph looks pretty good really, you caught the hypo at a decent 3.9 before things get really problematic. You can treat and move on, nothing bad happened.

Apart from not matching your carbs to your insulin yet, and your unpredictable insulin production adding to the injected insulin, any of those 42 factors and the colour of your socks can affect BG and could have played a role.

1720556990517.png

Antje77

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you treat the earlier hypo with?
Only quick acting glucose or something longer lasting as well?

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
What did you treat the earlier hypo with?
Only quick acting glucose or something longer lasting as well?
I had a swig of milk (it works) took 2 glucose tabs. Just took another glucose tab and just had a dark chocolate and coconut bar. I shouldn’t have to be doing this!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dropping again! I can’t cope! View attachment 68678
Blood sugar goes up and down even in non diabetics, so yours will too. It will get easier once you've done your carb counting course, but as @Antje77 posted there are many different things that affect blood sugar levels.
I know you're struggling, and it's a huge learning curve when you're diagnosed with diabetes, but if you accept your levels will go up and down, and there will be times you need to eat something to head off a hypo (as you did), or add a correction dose of insulin (once you're on a basal/bolus regime) you might not be so hard on yourself. You're doing brilliantly, to have graphs like that, when you're so newly diagnosed.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77