1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why are some T1s using Metformin?

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Celsus, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Celsus

Celsus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Notice that quite some T1s in UK and on this forum quote in their signature that they take Metformin.
    Why is that, as they also appear to take insulin at same time?

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

It helps to reduce insulin resistance, reducing the amount of insulin required.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Celsus

Celsus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thx Tim, so also Type 1s?? (sorry for asking, just to be sure I get that right)
    And is it then becoming more predicable the insulin dose needed?
    Reason I question for type1s is that since the Type1 already take insulin, whats the issue then if 3 or 4 units are required, as you already take insulin anyway. I suppose that taking Metformin do include some inconvenience and potential risks/side effects.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook