Why can I do things normally during a hypo?

MuhammadII

Dear experrts,

It happens once every blue moon, but when it does happen I feel frustrated to the max.

Sometimes when I go low, I can do things normally. Stuff such as text, write, walk, talk, math sums etc. Today my sugar was 1.8 mmol/l and i managed to walk back from the park (5 minute walk) after two hours of exercise, text a friend twice (long texts), get home and have a hypo treatment.

Any ideas? Could it be my monitor, my body or me just being lucky?

I personally hate it because before i used to feel shaky and could treat it normally.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't really know either. My 7yr old can be in the 'ones' and still tanking around like a maniac, other times she feels shaky at 3.9. Sometimes it seems to relate to how fast her BG has been falling and from how high, other times she is immersed in playing or whatever and seems not to notice, other times who knows?
Sue

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It sounds to me as if you are losing your hypo awareness.You need to test more often,especially during exercise ,to check that you are not going hypo.Please discuss this with your diabetes team as this can be very serious and potentially life threatening.At those sort of levels you are running the risk of diabetic coma and possible death.

MuhammadII

sugarless sue said:
It sounds to me as if you are losing your hypo awareness.You need to test more often,especially during exercise ,to check that you are not going hypo.Please discuss this with your diabetes team as this can be very serious and potentially life threatening.At those sort of levels you are running the risk of diabetic coma and possible death.

One of the major problems i have is that I haven't gone into a coma for almost a decade.

It seems that I normally get the warning signs, but once every blue moon I get one of these readings.

I've recently made a few adjustments to my insulin as I am attending the DAFNE course.

However, since this is happened before, I was wondering if there is an explanation for this.

WhimsicalWays

I would love an explanation to this, too. Similarly, I rarely can function 'normally' in the 'ones,' but sometimes at, say, 2.3 I can talk/walk/think/argue normally, and others I lose my planning ability/am very nervous/super shaky etc. It is just weird that the 'same' number can feel and look so tremendously different.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
It's not at all pleasant, I've been unaware of hypos for years and there's more than one possible cause. Long term it can be a sign of autonomic neuropathy, but there are plenty of other symptoms of this too. A rapid succession of hypos in the short term can also temporarily dull your awareness of their onset. In both cases, very tight control can improve the situation, but it doesn't always pan out that way.

Sometimes I can function perfectly well at 2.5, others I can barely stand up at the same level. No discernible pattern as yet to why, but not a good zone to be in, and I don't often go there these days.

Please be aware that you must also report this change in your condition to DVLA. You can get into all manner of trouble if you don't, and subsequently have an RTA...