Why can I not get my readings down?

Jacquid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To update, I finally got to see the diabetic nurse, only took 4 months, and she was very helpful.
Whilst waiting to see her, my second Hbda1c came back at 92 despite maximum metformin, so I stuck to my 60-80g of carbs for the next month, and my morning readings have dropped from 17-19 to 12 to 15. I am pleased with this, there is nothing gone that can't stay gone. It is another month or so before test no 3, but I am confident I will be in the 70s next time. Is this acceptable? A friend is saying it should be 50, I'm not sure I can do any more with food that is sustainable.

The nurse gave me a meter, said I wouldn't be type 1 as I had gestational diabetes 18 yrs ago, and changed my metformin to slow release, this has made me quite ill overnight, although it is only a week ago, but I was never ill on 4 standard ones spread out, unless I forgot I had taken it and took a second one by mistake. As this metformin has done nothing, why is it even used? Seems like a totally useless medicine, and I am fighting half a stone of added weight every time an extra one was added, which I am told doesn't happen, but it certainly does.

Interestingly she also said that my anaemia needed sorting, as it was far more likely to be causing exhaustion than diabetes. My gp had never seen this low reading when I next saw him, as it was a test done whilst in hospital for stomach issues. How interesting that the DN can see all tests but my GP can't!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is a very soft drug. It does very little to lower blood sugar levels. It helps reduce the amount of glucose your liver produces and helps with insulin resistance, but all to a very limited extent. It helps the overweight most of all as it is an appetite suppressant. You can't eat carbs and expect it to work wonders on any post meal spike. Diet is the key, not Metformin.

The HbA1c test target to aim for is anything less than 48, although we should be given individual targets by our nurse/doctor which may be higher than 48

Are you weighing your food to make sure your carbs are keeping to 60-80g? It is so easy to over estimate if you are guessing.

Do you use your meter to test before and after eating? This is the best way to control your numbers. Test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. If the rise from before to after is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal. It is preferable to keep the rise to under 1.5mmol/l. Keeping a food diary including portion sizes will help you, especially if you record your levels alongside. That way you can see patterns emerging and be able to reduce portions or eliminate certain carbs.

CaliforniaGal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To update, I finally got to see the diabetic nurse, only took 4 months, and she was very helpful.
Whilst waiting to see her, my second Hbda1c came back at 92 despite maximum metformin, so I stuck to my 60-80g of carbs for the next month, and my morning readings have dropped from 17-19 to 12 to 15. I am pleased with this, there is nothing gone that can't stay gone. It is another month or so before test no 3, but I am confident I will be in the 70s next time. Is this acceptable? A friend is saying it should be 50, I'm not sure I can do any more with food that is sustainable.

The nurse gave me a meter, said I wouldn't be type 1 as I had gestational diabetes 18 yrs ago, and changed my metformin to slow release, this has made me quite ill overnight, although it is only a week ago, but I was never ill on 4 standard ones spread out, unless I forgot I had taken it and took a second one by mistake. As this metformin has done nothing, why is it even used? Seems like a totally useless medicine, and I am fighting half a stone of added weight every time an extra one was added, which I am told doesn't happen, but it certainly does.

Interestingly she also said that my anaemia needed sorting, as it was far more likely to be causing exhaustion than diabetes. My gp had never seen this low reading when I next saw him, as it was a test done whilst in hospital for stomach issues. How interesting that the DN can see all tests but my GP can't!

I found out recently, that intermittent fasting helps brings BG numbers down. I eat lunch, then fast till lunch time the next day. I did this everyday for 5 days, and numbers went from 350 to 97. It's not too bad. :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Anaemia can affect hba1c results. So you do need to get them to help on that side.