Why cannula why!!!

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I was having a good day, planning a morning basal test for tomorrow, watching everything on my libre, sitting in target...until it all went wrong. I spiked up to 10, couldn't understand why so done the usual checks - infusion set for air bubbles etc. I took my cannula out and I bled after I removed it, it's now feeling a little bruised in that area. When I took my bolus for lunch it did sting a bit but as my BS sat in the 4s thereafter I thought nothing of it. Just wondering why I bled. Has the cannula hit something meaning my insulin wasn't being absorbed properly hence the spike? Has anyone any ideas? It's the only thing I can think of but all suggestions welcome!! Thanks in advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did you bleed a lot @Kateyo ?

I once removed a cannula from my stomach and bleed quite a bit, so much so that my clothing was wet and had to ask my wife to pass some hankies to stem the bleed, but much like when we inject we can sometimes rupture the tiny capillary blood vessels that lay close to the skin which causes a bleed and bruising afterwards.

Reactions: Kateyo

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @noblehead thanks for your reply! There wasn't a huge amount, I applied a bit of pressure and that stopped it. I think because of the spike beforehand I wondered might that have been a reason as there was no other reason that I could find. I've been having a nightmare recently with spikes so just trying to find a reason so I can get on top of it. Not really used to spikes as I'm generally well controlled and can spot patterns and tweak following basal tests to sort any changes etc but at the minute I'm at a bit of a loss!! Anyway, thank you for your reply, makes sense that that may have been all it was. Looks like lots of basal testing ahead!

Reactions: noblehead