Why can't I just do my jabs?

Katharine

Why can't I just do my jabs???
Posted by desperate for help on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm new to this site, I';m 23 and have had IDDM since I was 21 months old.

I really need some help with the control of my diabetes, I have this stupid mental barrier that I fight with to do my jabs and test my blood. it seems all too much to explain on here, but I really am desperate, my last hBA1c was 14.9, but thats nothing out of the ordinary for me, I will go days with my glucometer reading HI (Over 33.3) with high ketones but still for some bizare reason won't take a jab till I can hardly move. I want to feel better and to just take my insuling as part of daily routine but I know what I'm like and though I will go through stages of "Being Good" I cannot see it lasting.

I've considered trying hypnotherapy to see if there is an underlying reason but am scared it's going to bring up things I've tried to bury for good reasons.

I also have an underactive thyroid, ANA, Diabetic Retinopathy, I've had leg ulcers too, Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum, Granuloma Anularae, Psoriatic Arthritus and suffer from depression.

Although it seems from this post I am a moany person I am in fact a very happy, go-lucky person that loves my life, I'm a landlady of a pub I have an amazing supportive fiance and want to plan for a family over the next couple of years but this is imperitive for my health and my life to get this sorted. The hospital cannot offer me any help and I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

If anyone has any suggestions of anysort please PM me.

NB: Jemma, we advise that you don't put your personal e mail directly on the forum. This will protect you from spamming and perhaps responders who don't have the degree of integrity that you need. I have therefore modified your post.

Katharine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katharine

Hi Jemma,

The problem you are experiencing can happen to diabetics who have had the condition even after many years.

Most diabetic clinics have psychology input. Are you able to get help from them or can your GP put you in touch with the right person?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
hi,

You might also consider a pump... 1jab every 3 days for the canula insertion vs 15-20injections over 3 days.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You need help to get yourself together. you know what to do, but can't get to it. I'm not a doctor,(help Katharine!) but would suspect some form of depression. Have you tried "little steps"? Set yourself up some small attainable targets and reward yourself when you meet them. Perhaps a new lipstick or an evening at the cinema. A psychologist might help, but I'm suspicious of theese strange people who call themselves "counsellors". Perhaps even a medical hypnotist. The problem isn't the diabetes, it's like some kind of irrational fear or phobia. Please do something, before you get into really serious trouble. Your doctor should help you

Thank you for your responses and suggestions.

from most of you I appreciate the fact you are trying to understand what is going on. I do suffer with depression and have done since before my mum died 10 years ago. As I said in my original post there is too much to go into detail on here and I am quite taken back by the remark
With the history of making no effort to look after herself

I came to this website for help...It has absolutley nothing to do with me making no effort, I'm very upset with your remark to be honest, I thought I explained my situation as well as I could.

I visit my diabetic nurse regularly and am in contact over the phone with him, I see my consultant every 3-6 months and am honest with him and he is supportive. When I said the hospital can't help me I didn't mean they won't and they aren't supportive I meant that they can't offer me much help with this barrier I have. I test my blood several times a day and do take my jabs but not the 4 times a day I should. A lot of things went on in my childhood which meant my diabetes was pushed aside and almost wasn't dealt with and I can only think that this has continued as I took control of my diabetes myself into my adult life. I was offered a new pen that didn't have a needle but I have no phobia's of needles what so ever.

I am going to try a chart from your suggestions, it's childish but a large one placed in my home so I can see it and so can Greg my fiance, so it's there as a reminder and I can look back at the results.

From the times when I have followed my regime and ended up "testing too much" as told by my DSN I felt so proud looking at my results recorded and seeing that wow, I've not had a BM over 20 in 2 weeks for e.g. But why can't I just continue this?

I wish it was as simple as me not making any effort because at least then I could shake my **** into gear and do something.

Katharine

Jemma,

I'm so glad you found your thread again!

Have you considered allowing your fiance or another person to give you the injections?

As a matter of curiosity, did you try the needleless thingy?

Another of our members Nemo, is facing similar difficulties to you. She has managed to get psychological help. This wasn't easy to arrange but it should be possible.

When you think about injections and testing what do they seem like to you?

Do you get a picture? A feeling? A sound?

Trinkwasser

Katharine said:
Hi Jemma,

The problem you are experiencing can happen to diabetics who have had the condition even after many years.

Most diabetic clinics have psychology input. Are you able to get help from them or can your GP put you in touch with the right person?

Agree!

Also it might be worth getting your thyroid checked further, underractive thyroid can be part and parcel of "depression" and getting your TSH into normal range may have surprisingly beneficial mental as well as physical effects. This has happened to a couple of people known to me when they have moved to a doctor who is proactive with the condition, it's also responsible for some cases of "treatment-resistant" depression.

Then of course getting your BG down will probably also improve your mental functioning. It's a case of knowing where to start.

pumpinpatsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've never had a problem injecting, though was needle phobic before I was diagnosed lol.

Are you intending having children? That surely is a big incentive to get yourself healthy (I know it is for me).

You really do need to get the psychological help if you can't do your injections as this is the only way you will get your health back. You never know, if you are able to inject, you may be offered the pump further down the road.

I hope you get sorted.

goji

Hi Desperate for help

I'm really glad you've written in to the forum. It's nice to have you on the board. :)

It sounds like you've got to the point where you really are desperate for some change in your situation. I think there are definitely ways to improve how you're feeling and to get better control of your diabetes.

How is the chart going? Are you finding it is helping in any way?

From your post, it sounds like you have had a massive amount to deal with: chronic illness from a young age, health problems, bereavement and perhaps other things you allude to that happened when you were younger.

Maybe the way you are feeling in general is having an effect on your diabetes control. If you could feel better about things in general, you might feel better about caring for yourself and overcoming your hurdles with diabetes.

From your post, it sounds like you are a very psychologically-minded person. You are able to make connections between how you are feeling, your actions and things that have happened to you. This is a good thing as it means you would probably get a lot of benefit from doing some work with a psychologist, psychotherapist or counsellor.

As Katharine said, you could start by phoning your DSN to ask if there is a psychologist/therapist attached to their unit. You might need to be up-front in your request and say you specifically want to see a psychologist/counsellor as the DSN's are not mind-readers.

Alternatively you could go and talk to your GP or print out this thread and show it to your GP or post it (if you feel embarrassed) about talking. Your GP could either refer you or point you in the direction of good counselling/therapy service.

A third alternative would be to look for a private therapy/counselling service in your area. If money is an issue you could look for counselling that is low-cost.

Let us know how it goes.
Goji :)

Nemo

Can I just add that actually the services that I will be getting are not in my local area. The hospital that I attend for my diabetes care is not quite my closest and I am therefore considered 'out of area', but as is my right, I choose to have my care there.

The referal for psychotherapy came from my diabetes team who liaise on my behalf with my GP as that iswhere the funding will be coming from.

It does mean that when the treatment starts (not until Feb) I have to travel to another different hospital which is a bit of a nightmare travel wise for me, but it is the treatment I need.