why did I feel so unwell with relatively "low" blood sugar?

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
general question...I have friends who are type 1 and "dream of an HbA1c of 6.6" they don't notice high sugars until much later (around 10 fasting!), I also have friends who are type 2 and also don't feel unwell at higher levels (although they have noticed night time piddles). So I'm asking myself why did I feel so unwell on pre diabetes and just diabetes levels? Did anyone else experience this?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
general question...I have friends who are type 1 and "dream of an HbA1c of 6.6" they don't notice high sugars until much later (around 10 fasting!), I also have friends who are type 2 and also don't feel unwell at higher levels (although they have noticed night time piddles). So I'm asking myself why did I feel so unwell on pre diabetes and just diabetes levels? Did anyone else experience this?

Copilost, provided you had nothing else going on, it's likely just another example of how diabetes can be very different for each person

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
It's just like two people with arthritis will have different symptoms and levels of pain, we are all so individual on how things affect us. Despite having all of my maternal relations being either type 1 or 2 I went to my GP with no diabetic symptoms. I assumed having reached retirement age I'd escaped. I'm pleased he did a blood test though and found it otherwise I'd never have found this forum and all the supportive people on it. Welcome copilost you are in the right place!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

and there will be people without diabetes ALL feeling differently at different levels. I accept there is an 'average' level considered to be safe but every single person is physically different. It's like saying we should all feel exactly the same when our blood pressures match or our ALT levels or any number of things. I feel strongly that the body settles on what IT likes at a level it feels good at and as long as levels don't stray into dangerous numbers then it's just one of those things.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My latest obsession is insulin resistance, thanks to Ivor at Fat Emperor. My latest blood test were fine with improving liver health and all the things you'd expect with low carb diet but still feel tired and limp in mornings and **** on at least one or two days a week, weight loss stalled. Noticed kidney things were high normal on blood tests (Sodium and urea specifically). My GP is on holidays but I know he is fairly hopeless with diabetes, metabolic syndrome and rarely get useful advice, so the test scores were just sitting in the back of my mind on slow simmer. Then watched an Ivor podcast and everything made sense; insulin resistance. Had a few new ideas about what foods to avoid and adjusted diet starts today.
I'll be harassing the GP about HOMA-IR as well soon.
Worth considering; insulin has an amazing array of effects on the body.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, I guess it's an individual differences thing or something else I haven't identified yet :). Really wot me worry if I'm feeling better ;)

thanks to Ivor at Fat Emperor

I've just been listening to some Fat Emperor podcasts...I do like Ivor. All podcast recommendations appreciated......

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find Ivor often drifts off on tangents, and his podcasts are quite long. Sometime I cant make out what he is saying because of the accents. The interview with Dr Kendrik was like this. So I download the transcript of the interview and reread the points I find interesting, then go and research a bit further.

There are so many podcasts out there in the WWW and honestly, its hard to know what is usefull or "correct" in them. I kind of trust Ivor and so then go looking for more information put out by his guests. Such as wheat belly Davies, or Dr Kendrik.
Also amything by Dr Paul Mason is good and finding him will also lead to more youtube clips of other confences he has attended.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Indy51 often has links to great podcasrs and video, as well.