1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why did this meal raise my BG?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by PepperTed, May 15, 2019.

1. PepperTed

PepperTed Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had a lunch of cheesy bake (about 1 cup cauliflower, 1 cup broccoli, in a cheese sauce) with about 1 cup of kale on the side. My blood glucose shot up from 5.4 - 12.3.

All I can think is maybe the cheese sauce had flour in it? I got it from my work canteen so I don't know all the ingredients. It seems like it would take a LOT of flour to cause that big of an increase though...

Is there something else I'm missing? I know my basal dose is correct.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Cheese sauces are often very high in carbs when ready made... And you probably don't know what else they added to the dish.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If it's a canteen meal it will most definitely be made with flour and milk as these are far cheaper than cream etc, also the cheese would probably be pre grated so will more than likely have some sort of starch to stop it clumping. Plus the few carbs in the veg - not saying don't eat veg but they do have carbs that have to be factored in - as a educated guess you meal was probably 30g carb plus.

Don't worry it happens to all of us :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PepperTed

Gah, I didn't even think of milk. Thank you both!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I bet it was a dried cheese sauce that is probably flavoured flour with skimmed milk powder, sugar and thickeners

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PepperTed

Thankfully it won't have been that bad. :) The food is high-quality and cooked from scratch, but I bet it did have milk to bulk it out then flour to thicken it. I just heard "cheese" and didn't engage my brain beyond that!

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@PepperTed - If the top layer had any sort of crispy crunch to it, it could have had some breadcrumbs or the like sprinkled on before finishing under a grill.

Just as a probably poor example, this option, designed as a side for two, rather than a main would be 20gr per tub.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/261893078

8. sunspots

sunspots Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That sounds disgusting!

9. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It’s pretty standard food that comes out of a packet. You should see what’s in fake meat burgers.
    Ice cream is pretty awful too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook