Why do I always collapse when ive had alcohol?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
diva19871987 said:
I can drink any drink but red wine is lethal with me. It turns me into a absolute loon! Plus it's just not a taste I enjoy. :( oh and for some strange reason if makes my lips and teeth go a funny dark colour. Not a good look on a night out!

No I wouldn't like to meet you on a dark night after a session on the red wine :lol:

Seriously though red wine is like Marmite.......you either like it or you don't!

diva19871987

noblehead said:
diva19871987 said:
I can drink any drink but red wine is lethal with me. It turns me into a absolute loon! Plus it's just not a taste I enjoy. :( oh and for some strange reason if makes my lips and teeth go a funny dark colour. Not a good look on a night out![/quote

No I wouldn't like to meet you on a dark night after a session on the red wine :lol:

I have been known to look like ive been dug up on on a night on red wine! It doesn't taste so bad after 2 bottles of white though. :-D

Seriously though red wine is like Marmite.......you either like it or you don't!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
diva19871987 said:
noblehead said:
diva19871987 said:
I can drink any drink but red wine is lethal with me. It turns me into a absolute loon! Plus it's just not a taste I enjoy. :( oh and for some strange reason if makes my lips and teeth go a funny dark colour. Not a good look on a night out![/quote

I have been known to look like ive been dug up on on a night on red wine! It doesn't taste so bad after 2 bottles of white though. :-D

See I'm the opposite, even one glass of white wine makes me feel sick :(

Justine18

Dislikes
Pins, pricks, needles, knitting and meters..
Thanks for raising a subject close to my heart and sorry to hear about your collapse, however sounds like you were well looked after so that's good. I have always enjoyed a tipple so having discovered I was type 1 this year was a bit of a blow, I do enjoy a challenge and have worked a great formula which works for me if I am out with friends/partner. I always eat well before a drink and carb count for food only and take the insulin I need for this, I do always blood test regularly and only drink wine and finish with chips or a pizza, big carbs.. I accept that I don't drink often and so only drink a few and never take insulin for alcohol, has only backfired once when I mixed drinks and woke having a hypo otherwise sugars are normally high and only correct in the morning with breakfast. This isn't something I do every week end just once a month but am happy to indulge this often and still have a life..

I hope you can find a happy medium here somewhere, I don't believe diabetes should rule your life you can control just find a balance so you can still enjoy life but not pass out again, I hope the paramedics didnt see you in your underwear otherwise who cares they did their job brilliantly and I'm sure they see far worse, best of luck.

diva19871987

Justine18 said:
Thanks for raising a subject close to my heart and sorry to hear about your collapse, however sounds like you were well looked after so that's good. I have always enjoyed a tipple so having discovered I was type 1 this year was a bit of a blow, I do enjoy a challenge and have worked a great formula which works for me if I am out with friends/partner. I always eat well before a drink and carb count for food only and take the insulin I need for this, I do always blood test regularly and only drink wine and finish with chips or a pizza, big carbs.. I accept that I don't drink often and so only drink a few and never take insulin for alcohol, has only backfired once when I mixed drinks and woke having a hypo otherwise sugars are normally high and only correct in the morning with breakfast. This isn't something I do every week end just once a month but am happy to indulge this often and still have a life..

I hope you can find a happy medium here somewhere, I don't believe diabetes should rule your life you can control just find a balance so you can still enjoy life but not pass out again, I hope the paramedics didnt see you in your underwear otherwise who cares they did their job brilliantly and I'm sure they see far worse, best of luck.

Thank you. Some great tips. It brought back a lot of horrifying moments when you mention paramedics seeing me in my underwear. Oh god just thinking about it is making me cringe. When i used to drink often there were so many times when they did. Usually because most of the time i would go hypo in bed after night out. This is definitely bringing back shame! I can always remember my mum or whoever trying to save my dignity if i was in my birthday suit! Most of the time me being so out of it and not having a clue what im doing flinging the covers across the room till i realised i had company in the form of paramedics. Oh dear i should really start wearing pjs to bed.

loliver1

i agree with justine- i dont count the alcohol when i am injecting even when drinking with a meal
if i am drinking throughout the evening i try and have carb snacks along with my drink and then i adjust my insulin in the morning depending on my blood sugars
some alcohol makes me go low but not all- i drink either wine - usually red- or beer / lager but i cannot drink loads- 2 or 3 glases of wine and 1- 1and a half pints of beer

Tuesday

Dislikes
Carb confusion
Hi Diva,

You're not alone, that's for sure.

I've always been a sociable person, loved going out for drinks with my friends, partying etc, but these days I honestly just cannot cope at all with the alcohol.

Take Super Saturday just gone, for example. We had friends and family over to watch the Olympics, food spread and all that but I didn't have a drink until later in the evening. I had 2 small glasses of dry white wine in the space of 3 hours and ended up on the floor shaking like nobody's business, riddled with ketones. Convinced I was going to die, my other half checked my bloods and I was at 18.1. Threw my guts up all night and found it incredibly difficult just to drink water. Like another member said, I then had to struggle throughout the following day trying to keep my levels up. For some reason, taking sweet stuff under pressure makes me gag!

Now this sounds daft, but there was NO WAY I was going to the hospital...the shame alone would have wiped me out! :oops: I had to check my bg every hour, drink more water than I could cope with and rest for the entire day. I felt like I'd had a right kicking.

We're going on our first holiday in four years in a couple of weeks and I have already decided that alcohol is off the menu. End of! I just can't do it any more. In fact, I have learned over the years that Tequila is the only thing I can drink without getting sick so I just won't bother. I've had T1 for 17 years and what happened to me at the weekend was the final straw...I could have died and it's just not worth it. Back in the day, I used to have beer to make my sugars higher and spirits to bring it down. A dangerous game I will no longer be playing.