WHY DO I HAVE HIGHER BLOOD SUGARS AFTER AN INFECTIONS CLEARED

Saber

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cucumber
I was ill for 6 weeks with an e coli urine infection. For 3 weeks my gp surgery said I did not have an infection so I got very ill. When they sent a urine sample to the hospital they found I had an infection and treated it. However my insulin needs have not gone back to normal after the infections gone. Does anyone have an idea why this might be?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was ill for 6 weeks with an e coli urine infection. For 3 weeks my gp surgery said I did not have an infection so I got very ill. When they sent a urine sample to the hospital they found I had an infection and treated it. However my insulin needs have not gone back to normal after the infections gone. Does anyone have an idea why this might be?

Hello there Saber - Have you had a more recent (after the infection cleared) urine lab test?

I've not had many UTIs, but the more recent, a couple of years ago now, was a persistent little devil and I ended up having 2 sets of anti-biotics and a stern talking to not to get straight back if I had any hint of it coming back for Round 3.

It could also just be your body still repairing itself, but in your shoes, I'd want to lab to look, just in case. My experience, albeit just the once, was that when it started to come back, it seemed to be ramped up in it's impacts.

If you really, really don't fancy bothering the surgery again, then a starter would be a urine dip stick, but a bit like using those for testing blood sugars, they tend not to be so accurate, and certainly can't pinpoint the bug that's in play.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had these infections, and they are very difficult to shift. My GP uses a CRP blood test to monitor recovery. CRP is used for lots of things, the rheumatologist uses it to monitor my rheumatoid arthritis.

The GP says there is always a time lag between recovery starting and the CRP dropping to normal level.

CRP stands for C- reactive protein.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having had uti and kidney stuff too, I know that these bugs can linger even if you are not getting horrible symptoms anymore.
I am in a similar position too when having in pain and sleep deprived due to a frozen shoulder, my blood sugars remain elevated.
Just keep checking and get ready to taper your basal and bolus.