Why does insulin never seem to work?

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
Whenever my blood sugars are high and I take a correction of insulin it takes hours sometimes before I notice anything, is the insulin not working or something!?
Also yesterday I tried not giving insulin fora high carb meal and 2 hours after the meal I was 8.7 but when I took the insulin for exactly the same meal the blood glucose response was 6.3 that might seem like much but to be honest insulin should be better than that.
I believe the doctors and nurses tell us the insulin works when actually they rely on us being active after meals just so our post meal BG reading will be satafactory (not brilliant)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I am in double figures it can easily take two hours or more for a correction dose to have any effect - when you are high you are temporarily insulin resistant.

When you experimented with a high carb meal, what were you before the meal each time? Had you been up to any different activity? What sort of meal was it- you say high carb, but if it was als high fat the fat content could have delayed carb absorption (& your spike) to more than 2hours after the meal.

Was your insulin in date? Had it been kept in the fridge before being used? Had it been out of the fridge & in use for less than 4 weeks?

Insulin isn't snake oil, but it isn't something that works consistently & has exactly the same results every time we use it - it's impacted by hormones, stress, exercise, food (I'm sure the list goes on).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Whenever my blood sugars are high and I take a correction of insulin it takes hours sometimes before I notice anything, is the insulin not working or something!?
Also yesterday I tried not giving insulin fora high carb meal and 2 hours after the meal I was 8.7 but when I took the insulin for exactly the same meal the blood glucose response was 6.3 that might seem like much but to be honest insulin should be better than that.
I believe the doctors and nurses tell us the insulin works when actually they rely on us being active after meals just so our post meal BG reading will be satafactory (not brilliant)
Which insulin are you taking and what is your bmi?
How long have you been diabetic?
Type 1s can get insulin resistance too but your nurse can help you with insulin effectiveness and it optimization it to achieve your goals.
Mine is brilliant!