Why I don't.....

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I thought that a tuna mayo sandwich would put 2lb on I would eat 1 every day :!
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carty said:
If I thought that a tuna mayo sandwich would put 2lb on I would eat 1 every day :!
CAROL

:lol: :lol: :lol: .......still can't get that weight on Carol?

Nigel

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the concern Nigel. I have reached the dizzy height of 7 stone :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know if I wanted to put weight on, I could do it by eating:

Nachos w/cheese
Cheese Puffs/Onion Rings/Bacon Fries
Pasta (carbonnara)
Chips
Jacket potatoe (+ cheese n' beans/+ Tuna mayo w sweetcorn, etc...)
Pizza
Sandwiches - cheese, meat, mayo
Fried rice
Fried breakfasts (incl. fried bread/toast/hash browns & beans)
Garlic bread
Filled Yorkshire Puddings

I've always found that the combination of fat + carbs makes me PILE the weight on.

I'm envious of the problem you have!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
I've always found that the combination of fat + carbs makes me PILE the weight on.

Did you find that when you dropped the carbs on the Atkins Induction your weight returned to normal? Just a bit concerned now that your on the 600 calories diet as I wouldn't like to see you waste away! :(

Nigel

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Abby.
Sadly, I can only put it down the the bread and fat combined. My normal diet at the moment consists of protein, vegetables and dairy. No nuts, flax crackers or bread or anything else that is considered ok as part of a low-carb diet. I was hydrated that night too. If I were dehydrated, I would have shown a loss and the 2lbs took more than a day to go.

I'm fast approaching cracking another stone milestone. One I've not seen for 30 years.

wiflib

pianoman

wiflib said:
I can only put it down the the bread and fat combined. My normal diet at the moment consists of protein, vegetables and dairy. No nuts, flax crackers or bread or anything else that is considered ok as part of a low-carb diet. I was hydrated that night too. If I were dehydrated, I would have shown a loss and the 2lbs took more than a day to go.
If you eat a low-carb diet your Liver's store of Glycogen may usually be reduced. Eating the sandwich may have replenished this, and Glycogen requires water for it's storage...

Jenny Ruhl explains it here: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058097.php

...each molecule of glycogen is bound to four molecules of water and water has weight too. This means that when your liver and muscles are charged up with glycogen it adds an additional four pounds or more to your body weight

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
....well blow me down, I didn't know that one. Even more good reason to stay away from those dratted carbs. Thanks for that Pianoman.

wiflib

C

catherinecherub

wiflib said:
Hi Abby.
Sadly, I can only put it down the the bread and fat combined. My normal diet at the moment consists of protein, vegetables and dairy. No nuts, flax crackers or bread or anything else that is considered ok as part of a low-carb diet. I was hydrated that night too. If I were dehydrated, I would have shown a loss and the 2lbs took more than a day to go.

I'm fast approaching cracking another stone milestone. One I've not seen for 30 years.

wiflib
I found this post interesting wiflib.

I do not low carb but know plenty of people that do.
I read Jenny Ruhl and she is of the opinion that most obese low carbers reach a stall after losing 20% of their body weight. They have perfect blood sugar control but cannot shift any further weight.
Do you think that eating nuts, flax crackers etc. is what is stalling your weight? If so, is it the extra calories or the type of food that is detrimental?

I have also read on the internet that if a low carber cheats then it takes a while to get back on track.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch what would the carbs do to my BGs .You tryin to kill me man :shock:
CAROL

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just sayin' how I'd do it. Excess sugar gets stored as fat, so you need to get some excess sugar in ya!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I was dx as type 2 I was eating Mars bars and drinking Guiness and other "fattening"food because I had lost weight .My BGs was 26.9 at dx ,now my Hba1c is 6.9 I am trying to eat a diet that keeps my BGs under control but puts weight on .So really if I ate a high sugar diet I probably wouldnt put a lot of weight on but my BGs would be off the planet :lol: I think you ought to donate some of the weight you are losing to me (but not any wrinkly bits) cos I have enough of my own :lol:
CAROL

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Catherine, sorry for the delay in answering your question. I've been rocking the weekend away at the Cambridge Rock Festival and toady was de-gunge day!

I have no idea if it's the calories or not when it comes to the flax, nuts etc. It's been three years since diagnosis and I'm still learning about my body. In the early days I lost a huge amount of weight very quickly and I was eating things like two slices of nimble a day and enjoying good amounts of nuts, particularly the low-carbers favouries, macadamias.

But my weight stall has been exactly that. I've often written here that my weight is still about two stones from 'ideal' and it goes up and down, up and down.........
so, I decided to make my diet as near to 'pure' as I can and that means I eat animal protein, fat, vegetables and dairy and not much of it. No fruit, nuts, flax or anything sweet (apart from my sweetened coffee). This quickly, within two days, resulted in fasting BS in the 4's really good ketosis and weight loss.
The weekend wasn't brilliantly easy as it was basic camping in the middle of nowhere with no fridge type facilities and fast food stalls. Most of them were brilliant. I got a mugfull of hog roast and burgers, bacon and cheese but the roast was far too sweet for it to be natural and the burgers had rusk in. I had a plate of buttered vegetables on Sunday and it was bliss!

May I offer a warning to those interested. Ketosis is an appetite suppressant. I was eating less and less and not wanting to eat. What little I was eating was filling me up very quickly and about two weeks into my new way of eating, I was starting to feel lethargic. I can see how very easy it would be to 'over control' this way of eating so I have upped my portions with no detriment to anything else.

I'm out with my son this evening and will probably have a starter rather than a main course and catch up with his news over coffee.

wiflib

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
wiflib - I never found that when I was VLC'ing, quite the opposite. But I was drinking TONS of water. Are you upping your water intake while you're in ketosis? It definitely helps with the lethargy...

Glad to hear you've found a way of getting your FBG down in just a couple of days!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
I've decided to resurrect this thread as it indicates the struggle I've had and demonstrates that it's not entirely easy but very, very possible to get control.

I'm way down the line and have dealt with the usual awful stuff that life throws at us, Dad dying was one of them.
Now, at this moment in time, I know I will never return to what I was pre-diagnosis but as Dad used to tell me, never say never!

wiflib

Spiral

I have had quite long break from this site and read through this thread (and the other one) with interest.

My weight loss stalled, I have had a couple of minor health issues and I got so fed up over the christmas period I comfort ate and regained a few kilos. However, I have lost them again and my weight has stabilised again, but then I have not been as strict as I should. I have recently had a minor operation and I have been away and had less control over what I eat. It is my birthday next week, so this probably isn't a good time to make changes, but I think I am now planning how to kick start the weight loss again in just over a week.

I'm not sure if I have ever been in ketosis, but it is a state I need to cultivate. And it really is much, much easier to resist if you don't have stuff in the house...

Just as a matter of interest, wiflib, were you responsible for feeding anyone else while you were being very strict? I am responsible for feeding a teenager :shock:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spiral, I am in the enviable position of living alone. I do, however, spend lots of time with my family and friends. I have three grandchildren and when I stay at theirs I'm usually found in the kitchen cooking for and with them. My son came to live with me on a temporary basis for two months last year and told him under no circumstances was he to bring carbs in the house. He finally (after three years of watching me get thinner and thinner) joined me in my diet and promptly lost 3 stones we didn't even know he had.

The only time I am able to resist eating anything I shouldn't is when I keep my daily level VERY low, which has been that way for a while now. But I'm obsessed with it now so I just don't eat anything outside the diet I have prescribed myself.

My son used to stuff his face in his bedroom with forbidden fruits when he came to stay. Any bread had fairy liquid poured on it! He agreed though, that my health is far more important than his need for bread and chips so he had what I had in the house (apart from the secret stash) and ate what he wanted away from the house.

wiflib

shop

I Think this is a very honest post and shows not only will power but also the fact that you know yourself really well. I applaud you for being so determined and strong. There may be others out ther who can Identify some who dont. Of those who dont I would still imagine that like myself they have respect and admiration for you.

Prior to my diabetes and thyroid problems I was sooo skinny and could eat anything and never would have imagined having to watch what I eat. This coupled with feeding my insulin meant that I put on weight. I lost 1 1/2 stone and have maintained it I have found it easier than I thought. However there is still that old temptation and I have to remind myself that I can't just go to the fridge. So I understand a little of what you have to keep under control.

Well done

:thumbup:

Lucy.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for that Lucy.
I think all of us have to control our behaviours in so many things. I don't drink but only because I can't see the point. It does nothing for me but I understand how it is important it is to other people and how it can be hard not to have that one too many.

wiflib