Why I'm away and why I'll be back

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back in Dec 2011, I was diagnosed as a T2. Much research along with excellent advice found on this forum (**hint** lowcarb) helped to get me into a maintenance mode. I put myself in control.
In 2013 I was diagnosed with clinical hypothyroidism. Much research followed. Eventually following a switch from theNHS's preferred Levothyroxine (T4) to self-funded Natural Dessicated Thyroid (a mixture of T4 and T3) I felt better and in control.
In Mar 2016 I transitioned from T2 to LADA and insulin injections (MDI). This forum was again a godsend.
Over the 2016 Winter I experienced breathlessness and near nausea whenever I took the dog for a walk. As it 'appeared' after a long cold I thought it would go away. It didn't.
A visit to the GP in Spring detected a heart murmur, and an electrocardiogram (sticky electrodes and wires) confirmed something irregular.
A referral to the Cardiology Dept. followed where I was given an echocardiogram (think that scanning device used on pregnant mothers). It was confirmed I was not pregnant, but I received a diagnosis of AORTIC STENOSIS (AS).
I was called to a neighbouring hospital for a scan of my carotid arteries. Result : no problem.
Later this Summer I attended the Cardiology Day Ward for an angiogram (coloured dye used to detect operation within the heart whilst scanning it). This confirmed my AS as severe and resulted in a referral to Harefield Hospital for valve replacement. Little to no heart disease was also diagnosed.
I've now seen the surgeon and expect the op to be around Feb 2018.

My AS diagnosis has resulted in a lot of research, and I'm totally calm about the whole thing. I'm looking forward to feeling a whole lot better, less tired, and long walks with the dog again !

My focus at the moment is therefore not diabetes. My last HbA1c was 35, and my control hasn't slipped.

This post was simply an answer to the possible question "where's Geoff / libra gone ?"

See you on the other side (if not before)

Geoff :):):)

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Following a recent attendance at Harefield for a pre-op assessment (op some time next year), it appears I have a platelet count of 108 (range 150-400), which is of concern to them since the lower the count, the higher the propensity to bleed.
Low platelets are a new thing to me.
Anyone had a similar experience ?
Geoff

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No sorry. I just wanted to say I'll be thinking of you and sorry for not reading this thread sooner.:sorry:

All the best
x

Reactions: jay hay-char

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No sorry. I just wanted to say I'll be thinking of you and sorry for not reading this thread sooner.:sorry:

All the best
x
Thanks.
I love going on learning curves. My AS diagnosis was simply the start of another. I'm not sweating it. I'm simply spending less time on this forum at the mo, whilst I learn 'elsewhere'.
I'll update you all nearer the time. Some dental work HAS to be done before they'll do the op :(:(
Geoff

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Geoff,

Can't help you with any of this stuff. But sincerely wishing you all the best..!

You know, this thread could be moved to ask a question? See if we can get some productive answers & experience to your enquiries...?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@librarising . I've often seen your name appear but as far as I'm aware we've never crossed swords or exchanged pleasantries.
Just read your initial post and follow up post.
I would like to wish you all the best for the coming months and look forward to maybe exchanging some pleasantries next year.
You sound a very strong, positive guy and I'm sorry I can't give any advice to help you.
Looking forward to your return.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@librarising . I've often seen your name appear but as far as I'm aware we've never crossed swords or exchanged pleasantries.
Just read your initial post and follow up post.
I would like to wish you all the best for the coming months and look forward to maybe exchanging some pleasantries next year.
You sound a very strong, positive guy and I'm sorry I can't give any advice to help you.
Looking forward to your return.
Thanks.
I seem to have got sucked back in to this forum earlier than I thought/intended.
Must be all you great guys (for older people, 'guys' is modern usage for 'people'and is NOT gender specific.)
Geoff

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just stopped by to.wish you success with it all. And to ask a question, if I may? I too am hypothyroid on levo. But would also.like to use ndt. How do you go about this? I would happily self fund, but dont know where to start. Many thanks.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just stopped by to.wish you success with it all. And to ask a question, if I may? I too am hypothyroid on levo. But would also.like to use ndt. How do you go about this? I would happily self fund, but dont know where to start. Many thanks.
Thank you for your good wishes.
Before switching I spent a lot of time on thyroid forums and sites, especially Stop The Thyroid Madness. It was this latter site that pointed me in the direction of NDT and where to obtain it. Initially my choice of NDT (THIROYD - yes it's spelt like that) was available via Amazon. Now it's done directly here
https://www.facebook.com/ndtsupplement/

Being on NDT does get me into trouble with my GP as it totally suppresses my TSH (an effect well known to good endocrinologists who don't treat to TSH). I told him he needed to test my FT3 and FT4 then. Still waiting.
If he wants to take over my tiredness (most improved under NDT) I'll happily give up all thyroid medication.
Geoff

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello geoff, thanks for the reply. I have been looking at thiroid, but am too scared to make the leap. But the tiredness is stopping my life so I think I might just give it a go. My tsh is 3.2 and in range, so apparently the tiredness is not thyroid related. My gp says I have cfs! They have refused to raise my levo.
How long did it take for the thiroid to help? Thanks again.x