Why is alcohol bad,

Cal M

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been diagnosed type 1.5 adult onset, on Metformin only. I do not drink during the week but like the odd glass or 2 at the week end. The metformin leaflet just says don't take with alcohol. Does this mean alcohol is dangerous to me as I am on metformin or can I still try alcohol in smaller amounts?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no 1 or 2 glasses do not do much harm... if you are not very high and out of control diabetically... but if you haven´t gotten your numbers almost down to normal then I guess alcohol wil be another burden on your body..

1 glass can actually put your blood glucose a little down if it is not filled with sugar...I myself enjoy a tiny glass of single malt occasionally..

Metformin is cleared out of the body by your kidneys , I guess thats why they warn people ....but always ask your GP too, as he or she knows if you have other conditions that would all together talk against drinking alcohol

Last edited:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The warning is against excess drinking as it can send you hypoglycemic. Metformin reduces the amount of glucose generated by your liver, aka liver dump, and alcohol takes your livers attention away from doing anything but processing alcohol. This means if your sugars go too low your liver wont jump in to save the day. A couple drinks as freema says should not be a problem but getting bombed could be.

Reactions: Freema

Cal M

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to both Freema and Chalup, this is very helpful I will go carefully and lightly with alcohol till I see my diabetes nurse.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good person to ask is the. pharmacist He explained that the drug company always err on the side of caution but told me the adverse effects that the alcohol and Metformin could do I am enjoying a glass of red wine with my meal as I do a couple of times a week and have never had a problem but we are all different so I suggest that you do your own research and decide for yourself

CAROL