Why is this happening - anyone know?

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had quite good control (though not in your league @KevinPotts) until a couple of weeks ago when I had a night off to celebrate our 40th WA, and still didn't go mad.

Now, I seem to be coming in much higher. Still within target range, but at the upper end. Example was this morning - before breakfast 5.6, 2 hours after breakfast (smoked haddock and tomatoes 4g carbs and 24g protein) 7.7.

This seems quite a bit of a leap for something that fits well within my target carbs of 30 g and protein 75g for the day.

Any ideas anyone on why this might be. I can't fast as I am on a nasal insulin. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I had quite good control (though not in your league @KevinPotts) until a couple of weeks ago when I had a night off to celebrate our 40th WA, and still didn't go mad.

Now, I seem to be coming in much higher. Still within target range, but at the upper end. Example was this morning - before breakfast 5.6, 2 hours after breakfast (smoked haddock and tomatoes 4g carbs and 24g protein) 7.7.

This seems quite a bit of a leap for something that fits well within my target carbs of 30 g and protein 75g for the day.

Any ideas anyone on why this might be. I can't fast as I am on a nasal insulin. Thank you.

Haha...you wouldn't say I had good control now that I am testing different and increased carbs:)

2.1mmol is a bit of a leap considering just fish and toms. Did you have a lot of tomatoes?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem a bit of a leap. I wonder if one or other of the tests was a rogue one?

Did you re-test that 7.7? Had it been me I would have tested again. If very different I would have tested a 3rd time to confirm one or the other.

Reactions: dbr10

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Haha...you wouldn't say I had good control now that I am testing different and increased carbs:)

2.1mmol is a bit of a leap considering just fish and toms. Did you have a lot of tomatoes?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Just 60g tinned and counted within the carbs I quoted. Grrrr. So irritating.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does seem a bit of a leap. I wonder if one or other of the tests was a rogue one?

Did you re-test that 7.7? Had it been me I would have tested again. If very different I would have tested a 3rd time to confirm one or the other.

Thanks Bluetit, I didn't, but my meter has proved reliable so far and this is echoing what seems to be happening recently. I will try that the next time I have a leap like that.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit, I didn't, but my meter has proved reliable so far and this is echoing what seems to be happening recently. I will try that the next time I have a leap like that.

Yes, do. There is always the risk of a faulty strip or finger contamination no matter how good the meter is.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be too much protein for me in the morning and not enough fat. I need a high fat BF, VLC and low protein. I eat more protein at lunch and dinner. Some fat like avocado would slow and lower that spike I would imagine. Whenever I eat protein without enough fat I spike higher and faster and stay there. JMO.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am another that must be zero carb at breakfast. I used to have a FF Greek yogurt with a couple of strawberries and flaxseed. I went up and stayed up all morning. I put this down to Dawn Phenomenon but I was wrong. I now just have a boiled egg and a cup of tea. I go down and stay down.

Reactions: dbr10

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am another that must be zero carb at breakfast. I used to have a FF Greek yogurt with a couple of strawberries and flaxseed. I went up and stayed up all morning. I put this down to Dawn Phenomenon but I was wrong. I now just have a boiled egg and a cup of tea. I go down and stay down.
My BF has to be by far the smallest meal of the day. Half an avocado works. Strange as that keeps me going from 8-3. I take the same insulin dose at all meals but lunch and dinner are bigger with more of everything. I suppose it's all those hormones waking up ready to help us out. I wish there was a shut off switch. Wouldn't that be nice? Although on the bright side 1/2 an avocado or your egg doesn't get much simpler.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lizzie - Have you started on a new lot of strips? By that I mean a different lot number on the pot, as opposed to a new pot. I have sometimes noticed batches sometimes read a bit differently.

(And your statement on fasting made me chuckle,........ nasal insulin. :) I know they're developing some sort of inhaled insulin, but I don't think it's here yet?)

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Interesting, I normally have full fat Turkish yoghurt with respberries (just a few) and a spoonful of flax. I don't know whether I could survive on just a boiled egg, I am most hungry in the mornings, but thanks, I might have to look at this again.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lizzie - Have you started on a new lot of strips? By that I mean a different lot number on the pot, as opposed to a new pot. I have sometimes noticed batches sometimes read a bit differently.

(And your statement on fasting made me chuckle,........ nasal insulin. :) I know they're developing some sort of inhaled insulin, but I don't think it's here yet?)

Haha, I hadn't picked my typo! Now wouldn't that be good.

Funnily yes, I had just started a new batch, but I was also having the same problem last week before I changed over. Thanks for the tip.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha, I hadn't picked my typo! Now wouldn't that be good.

Funnily yes, I had just started a new batch, but I was also having the same problem last week before I changed over. Thanks for the tip.

Was anything else different last week? Are you a little tired, under the weather, hayfever or whatever?

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was anything else different last week? Are you a little tired, under the weather, hayfever or whatever?

No nothing different except I had a night off for our 40th WA and had a tasting menu and a couple of glasses of wine and it just seems to have shoved everything off kilter since. It took about 4 days for my BG to come back to a reasonable level (5s) but since then it has been reading at least a point higher than it did before. I'm also occasionally getting a liver dump which I didn't normally get before, but only about .4.

I guess I am being too hard on myself really, I'm sure my DN will be very happy with my figures, especially as my very recent hba1c came in at 43, down from 62. It's just I want even better! Really trying to get down to the high 30s next time.

Thanks for your help and concern. X

Reactions: hankjam

aquariel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd like to put in a warning about golden linseed. Its something to be wary of if you have breast cancer, its mildly oestrogenic. I started using it as a laxative which its good at but make sure you drink with it. It can block your bowels. BUT the thing that really cheesed me off was I found I couldn't get rid of migraines with NARAMIG. It stops the stuff from working altogether. Powerful! I thought it was my imagination until I looked it up and found it was flax seed and the article commented on its combination with drugs.