Why is type 2 more common in Mediterranean countries?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
GraceK said:
I've never thought of anyone here as being 'fanatical' about their diet

Nor did I Grace but to some advocating a diet that requires you to restrict your carbs so that you get the levels you personally want to achieve makes you a fanatic. I have never found out why and I really don't care. It's not so bad nowadays but when I first joined the forum early on in the year it was far more prevalent. I hope the prevailing consensus remains as you so aptly stated it.

GraceK said:
That doesn't mean we're advising others that it's the ONLY WAY to eat, it's just ONE OF THE GOOD WAYS to eat.

That's what "eat to your meter" is all about. Keep giving out your excellent advice Grace. No one in their right mind could possibly accuse you of being a fanatic based on the kind, caring and loving posts you make :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
borofergie said:
Dillinger said:
My favourite 'fake argument' attack though, and one which pretty much always signals that the person using it is wrong, is the 'slippery slope' argument; if we give an inch they'll take a mile type thing, or if you reduce carbohydrates you'll only eat cheese and so on.

<borofergie stands in the corner looking shifty, and pretends not to eat a diet consisting only of meat>

:lol: :clap: But - that's not strictly true is it Borofergie? You also eat whipped cream in a can and that combined with 'meat' is at least 2 of the major food groups isn't it?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm.......am I a fanatic???? I dont think so, but i could be wrong.

fa·nat·ic (f-ntk)
n.
A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
adj.

nope. Not extreme. Not unreasoning.

I logically use the results from my meter to determine the foods I can safely eat - which happen to be low carb. I look on here and find others who have also had this result. I share the results, from my own experience and that of others, with other Diabetics for them to try and see if it works for them. Reasonable and logical behaviour.

Cant see any fanaticism there.

I wonder, if we were a group of alcoholics talking about removing alcohol from our diets and substituting other tasty drinks, then shared the recipes and result with other alcoholics looking for alcohol substitutes, we would be labelled as fanatics.

Defren

The only problem I have with diet being discussed here, is there are times when a subject is 'hot' shall we say. The debate gets heated and then the thread is locked. You can see exactly which threads are going to be locked, and I have my reasons why I believe they are locked. It's simply down to some people not agreeing, and then creating a fuss and reporting to the mods. I have seen it time and time again, and I am not the only one. Still, s'pose some folk don't like a bit of lively debate. :wink:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Folks

It might be time to stop the fanaticism discussion. I am not sure why this came into the thread (although I can see where) and may just have been a throwaway remark (and not from me!!) but it is a tad far from Mediterranean or any other regional diets to be part of this thread. Can we get back on topic if there is more to say on regional diets?

Take care

Doug - who is not locking this thread

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
xyzzy said:
GraceK said:
I've never thought of anyone here as being 'fanatical' about their diet

Nor did I Grace but to some advocating a diet that requires you to restrict your carbs so that you get the levels you personally want to achieve makes you a fanatic. I have never found out why and I really don't care. It's not so bad nowadays but when I first joined the forum early on in the year it was far more prevalent. I hope the prevailing consensus remains as you so aptly stated it.

GraceK said:
That doesn't mean we're advising others that it's the ONLY WAY to eat, it's just ONE OF THE GOOD WAYS to eat.

That's what "eat to your meter" is all about. Keep giving out your excellent advice Grace. No one in their right mind could possibly accuse you of being a fanatic based on the kind, caring and loving posts you make :clap: :clap: :clap:

Awwww xyzzy ... thank you for saying that about my posts. I really do care, especially about the NHS and what they're getting wrong and what they're getting right. I have a lot of admiration and enthusiasm for the original ethos of the NHS which is why I get hot under the collar when I hear about ambulances being refused to people in genuine need etc.

NHS staff are or should be, employed to help patients, not to defend the NHS and some of it's laxadaisical managers who are so high up on their pedestals they've lost touch with both staff AND patients. I'm not interested in their lip service and glossy pamphlets, I'm interested in the down to earth, tangible things that matter when a patient comes into hospital and one of them is APPROPRIATE DIET and the other is APPROPRIATE HYGIENE without which I don't think any hospital should actually call itself a hospital.

I am a pretty blunt and straightforward speaker and writer and I tend to say it like it is and with a passion - but always because I care. :D