Why isn't everyone given a meter?

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking
hi shandromeda
well my gp at first would not give me one then i tried this i bought the meter like yourself then just before the strips ran out i rang the gp surgery and just just said could i have a prescription for some aviva strips for testing my bloods the prescription was ready the next day they new by my records i was diabetic they never question the prescription and i have had them ever since if i had gone to see my gp he might have said no he is a bit funny sometimes but just asked for the prescription and got it that was about 3 yrs ago good luck tell you what they just dont make it easy for us do they at least we try bye vivkarooxx

mikomikimika

The only reason I've heard is that some nurse thinks the patient will get a false low reading and they will take sugar to fix it, and make themselves sick.

Personally, I think that's bull. It's important that every diabetic person should have their own meter, and any doctor who thinks it's unnecessary is a waste of time and money, and should be switched out for another.

My doctor gave me one a couple years ago, when my diabetes was still controlled by diet and exercise, because even though I wasn't on meds, he said I needed to be able to monitor it.