1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why isn't my blood pressure coming down?

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by andromache, Mar 26, 2019.

1. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Bluetit, I very much agree. Don't get me wrong, I know there must be an absolute upper limit which if passed would be dangerous for an individual, but just being out of the so called 'normal range' does not really concern me and I am convinced my body compensates in other ways to counterbalance a higher blood pressure. Same with my cholesterol, it is 7.2 and I was referred to a Lipid consultant. Cut a long story short but my HDL is 2.45, trigs 0.5 and LDL 4.2. They did a DNA test, results just back and it showed I did NOT have FH, but the 12 other tests they do (which indicate whether the high LDL is genetic or not) came back as highly likely my high LDL was 'polygenic', ie GENES. Meaning eating fewer eggs (which my Dr suggested) has no effect whatsoever on my personal cholesterol levels. I think my HDL & trigs are dealing quite nicely with the LDL genes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

By the by. Was in the surgery this morning for bloods, c1, lipids and PSA when I decided to test my BP. I made a mistake to the time, thinking it was 10:30 I arrived early to test.... to find it was really at 10:20. Still in time, so went and did BPs after.
    1 98/60
    2 102/49
    3 93/50

Asked the receptionist if the device was fine. She did hers, it was high and she was "happy" the machine was fine.
    They only have a help doc for when values are high.
    They are to be recorded in my notes and I will be contacted if someone thinks there's a problem.

Lowest DIA I've recorded.
    :nailbiting:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

WOW. And with or without meds?

4. hankjam

my Perindolpril has been slashed from 8 mg to 4 mg last September, when it was noticed by my DB nurse that the BPs were low... though not as low as these were...

5. Listlad

My BP is coming down but not that low. When I noticed it going down I asked to drop 1 out of 4 of the tablets I take and the GP agreed. Once it gets down a bit more again (says he hopefully) I will ask him the same again.

Edited for correction.

#25 Listlad, Mar 28, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  6. andromache

andromache · Active Member

Good luck with the new job!

• Like Like x 1
  7. andromache

Thank you for this. If my BP does creep up further, and meds are proposed, I will certainly ask about that ambulatory test.

• Like Like x 1
  8. andromache

Blimey - I thought my HDL was good, but you have me well beaten there! Your total cholesterol/HDL ratio - my favourite measure - must be a prize-winner.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. andromache

That must be a good feeling, getting off all those meds. In terms of confirming that you are doing the right thing for your health, that's pretty darned good, isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Listlad

I see it as an indicator along with the others. I am pleased and hoping I can dispense with all BP meds. But...I am not sure if that is possible. I shall see how it goes.

Actually I just spotted a typo. It should have said 1 out of 4. Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hankjam

Work is in progress!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. andromache

Anything that is going in the right direction is good

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My BP came down pretty quickly once I got on a LCHF diet, but it took over a year to get my early morning BG levels down. We are all different. I don't think your BP is too bad. You have to balance the slight risk it presents against the side effects from the medication. Only you can make that decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. andromache

Thank you, and yes, I completely agree. I don't think it's too bad either - it's technically in the hypertensive range much of the time these days, but not by much. As so often with these things, the trajectory is probably more important than the bare number. If that starts heading even slightly in the right direction, I'll be happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. andromache

I would like to thank you all for the thoughtful and informative replies to my query about blood pressure. This is such a good forum!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Olufisayo

Olufisayo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good that you’re trying but what’s your bp reading? At times mine is on 140\86.

• Like Like x 1
  17. andromache

Pretty similar to yours, in fact! TBH, systolic is typically a bit higher than yours, but it usually still starts with a 4, if only just. :)

18. andromache

Unless I'm in the GP surgery, of course, in which case they sometimes have to get to me sit quietly in a corner until they can get a reading that permits them, with a good conscience, to let me leave the premises. I think they call it 'white coat syndrome'.

19. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

My GP once told me she always mentally knocks 10 off the result because of white coat syndrome. She can't record her mentally adjusted figure of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Listlad

Not sure if I said it before but a BP monitor is very useful. A decent one is about £30. I got mine from Amazon. Ormron do a good one. Ormron 3. I had it cross checked at the local pharmacy for accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook